SaltCritters.com

Mike's 18" Custom Cube

Mike Savage

Well after many tanks over the years I decided to start from scratch. I have a nice corner in my home office for a tank so here we go!

Over the years I have had a few different tanks from 120 gallon with sump/refugium, to all-in-one Nano cubes and Red Sea Max, to standard tanks with HOB filters. I've used compact flash, VHO, Metal Halide, and LED lighting and tried many of the other gadgets available. Based on past experience, available space, time, and money this is what I came up with.
Cube shape tank
Sump and large refugium
External overflow
Quiet, high flow return with emergency drain
No powerheads or equipment to detract visually
Quiet system
Auto top off
I set up a tank for photographing coral fluorescence and it went great for nearly 4 years, until I took it down to move, but 10 gallons was too limiting. It was also as large as was practical in 2006/2007 when it was set up. This one will build on that concept.
And so it begins . . .
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided on an 18" cube and had it custom made with an external overflow that would fit in the corner behind the tank. I also had a custom sump built that would take advantage of the size of the cabinet.

01Newtankandsump_zpsebea6409.jpg

Looks clean! Planning on painting the back?

I really like a painted back and my first love is photography but for this tank I'm trying a rock wall back. I've already started it and will be posting photos soon. My hope is that this will give a more natural look for photos and have the rock take up less room since the tank is only 18" front to back.

Water test!

03Watertest_zpse888af65.jpg

Well the water level is too high and it feels like there is very little flow. :angry:

04Waterlevel_zps650727d9.jpg

The water level is only 3/16" from the top. Too close for comfort for me. Back to the drawing board . . . :o

Yes it is a Vega and the two wires probably should be cut. I'm not sure I am exactly finished with it yet. It was first set up and hanging in the opposite corner of my (home) office but the glare was bad so I drained it and moved it. I had to drill more holes in the ceiling and still have to patch the old ones too!

I like the water lvl high looks good. but your right it is a lil scary, why is it so high is it cause of the return pump or the overflow being to high up? If its the overflow is there anyway to fix it?

Loving your build so far.i will be fallowing along. what light are you using ? Also is there a reason for hanging the light so close to the water. Looks a lil funny to me but to each his own.

Oh just saw your other post: its a vega

BeardedReeferLLC

Yah for rimless I like the 1/2" to 1" from waterline to top rim, the light needs to come up 4-6" Thats too close to the water for my liking.

Also what size pump are you using?

I like the water lvl high looks good. but your right it is a lil scary, why is it so high is it cause of the return pump or the overflow being to high up? If its the overflow is there anyway to fix it?

Loving your build so far.i will be fallowing along. what light are you using ? Also is there a reason for hanging the light so close to the water. Looks a lil funny to me but to each his own.

Oh just saw your other post: its a vega

You are right it is a Vega. The water level is so high that if I put my arm in the tank it would over flow and if the pump was putting out like it should the water would go right over the top!

Yah for rimless I like the 1/2" to 1" from waterline to top rim, the light needs to come up 4-6" Thats too close to the water for my liking.

Also what size pump are you using?

The pump is an Eheim 1262.

I found the problem with the pump output. When I put the plumbing together one of the pipes pushed past the built-in stop and pretty much closed off a tee fitting. The little slot circled by red is the only area the water had to go through. I measured the flow at 77gph.

05Blockedpipe_zpsce5b5f07.jpg

I got out the Dremel and opened it up!

06Freeflow_zps3514c0c7.jpg

Now it should flow better!

The tank is back from the glass shop. I had the overflow ground down and now the water level is perfect and the pump is flowing wide open!

07Newwaterlevel_zps3adf7b0b.jpg

I found the problem with the pump output. When I put the plumbing together one of the pipes pushed past the built-in stop and pretty much closed off a tee fitting. The little slot circled by red is the only area the water had to go through. I measured the flow at 77gph.

05Blockedpipe_zpsce5b5f07.jpg

I got out the Dremel and opened it up!

06Freeflow_zps3514c0c7.jpg

Now it should flow better!

That'll definitely do it. Gotta love the Dremel! Best "good for anything" tool out there.

Archived