Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mojado's 40-Breeder build - now w/FTS

Mojado

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is back in March. Sometime in late March, I went to LFS to buy some more PE Mysis, but they were out. So I picked brand X. Ugh, that led to a MAJOR algae problem! I switched back to my regular brand, doing 20% water changes, and started using S.A.T. We'll see how that works. Here's my tank before the algae.

I thought I followed this thread.

UPDATES! :)

Here's a video above before the algae, before the green BTA that was on a world tour of my tank and finally settled on a rock against the back wall. When he started to travel, I put the sponge shroud on the MP10. When he settled behind the rock work, I left the sponge on the MP10. For about a month, he stayed put. So I remove the sponge from the MP10 one night. The next morning, I hear a funny sound coming from my MP10. Holy crap, the GBTA is halfway in the MP10! I pull him out. He looked bad, but pulled through. Needless to say, the sponge shroud has stayed on the MP10. :unsure:

Now to kill the algae problem from cheap food.

I have 2 wp25s on wave mode in my tank with the my bta. Someone on YouTube, jmadden? Mentioned that he solved his bta issues by using wave mode because the anemone is not drawn into a constant pull. They also love crevices to put their foot into. Two rocks crammed close to each other, or in my case a concave rock. Glad he pulled through!

• 10 months later...

I demand an update! /shakes fist :)

I know right? Where you is Mojado?

Man, some rookie mistakes came and ultimately bit me in the @ss . . and my tank suffered. :(

I initially thought it was from using "cheap" food, but in hindsight it was probably some things I wasn't doing:

*Not vacuuming the sand. It was just difficult because I had things here and there in the sand.

*Not turkey basting my rocks.

*Not rinsing my Mysis (though I don't think this was too bad)

*Started to go longer than I should with carbon and purigen than I should have

First it started with GHA on my sand bed. I'd pull it when it got bad. Eventually it spread to my rocks, then started to overgrown my coral. It was really bad. The stuff people say to do wasn't working; it was that far gone. I was doing big water changes, feeding less, etch. It finally stopped growing back on my sand bed, but the rocks would still grow back. So I pulled out (about a quarter of the rock every week) and treated with H2O2. That did the trick, along with the other stuff I was doing (more Mexicans, added a lawnmower Blenny). I also put some chaeto in my sump to help with GHA control.

So, here's what's left of my tank. I'll restock it slowly but surely.

uFA3uo2.jpg

Sorry to hear you had to go through that Mojado. I lost some Montiporas and Acros due to algae issues a few months back.

I'm about to start pulling my rock out to remove Mojano Anemones.

Hey did you end up going to Reef Currents? My daughter ended up winning us a new rimless tank :D so keep an eye out for our new build.

OH btw I did some research and you sir were correct,the 20 L Tetra tanks can be drilled.

Sorry to hear you had to go through that Mojado.

I'm about to start pulling my rock out to remove Mojano Anemones.

Hey did you end up going to Reef Currents? My daughter ended up winning us a new rimless tank :D so keep an eye out for our new build.

Yeah, I saw that! That's awesome! Congrats!

Things were up in the air for that weekend, so if I went, I was gonna buy tix at the gate. I ended up not being able to make it out there, though. :(

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it's been great, not much coral growth because I'm always trading corals or moving them back and forth from my 29 gallon to the 65. I'll try my best to start a thread but I always have issues posting pictures.

it's been great, not much coral growth because I'm always trading corals or moving them back and forth from my 29 gallon to the 65. I'll try my best to start a thread but I always have issues posting pictures.

Throw them up on imgur and just direct link, like so:

47DKlTb.jpg

The last part is [/img]

The screen capture caught my cursor at the end.

This is the result from posting as above:

yviJejq.jpg

Archived