ReefCleaners.org

Mojado's 40-Breeder build - now w/FTS

Mojado

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Safety first!!!

I should have posted this earlier, but when I placed the stand in its permanent place, I tied the top of the stand to the wall with a heavy duty (400 to 700 lbs zip tie, I forget its rating, but it is heavy duty!). I wanted to make sure this eventual top-heavy beast stayed upright. I didn't want to risk a kid hanging off the sill to look at "Dory and Nemo" and having the whole thing come down on her.

I don't know how many of you guys have done this. I'm new to the hobby, so I don't know what's the norm, but I recommend folks do this in the future, especially considering how top heavy these things end up being.

I guess this is the end for the tank build. FTSs from now on!

post-75255-0-36213300-1376364017_thumb.jpg

post-75255-0-66606400-1376364022_thumb.jpg

Very serious build. Sometimes it takes a fresh eye in the hobby to see what the rest of us overlook.

Thanks. What an awesome compliment!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Safety first!!!

I should have posted this earlier, but when I placed the stand in its permanent place, I tied the top of the stand to the wall with a heavy duty (400 to 700 lbs zip tie, I forget its rating, but it is heavy duty!). I wanted to make sure this eventual top-heavy beast stayed upright. I didn't want to risk a kid hanging off the sill to look at "Dory and Nemo" and having the whole thing come down on her.

I don't know how many of you guys have done this. I'm new to the hobby, so I don't know what's the norm, but I recommend folks do this in the future, especially considering how top heavy these things end up being.

I guess this is the end for the tank build. FTSs from now on!

I thought about it but I have no stand lol :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You brought the house down with that stand...can't wait ti see the rest of this come together....oh - the sump is pretty sweet too :) But we do need pictures lol !

• 4 weeks later...

How's the overflow noise? Loud?

It is actually VERY quiet now. . .dare I say, "silent". I guess it took some time to break in, though the only thing I can see that has changed is maybe it has a coat of slime now. The only noise is the hum of my sicce 3.0 return pump.

• 1 month later...

Reserved for FTS! :P

We tied all our heavy furniture to the wall when we had young kids. At the time is was the huge tube tv we were worried about.

Really nice build. Learned many things from this. I am picking up a 40 & another 20 Today.

Thanks! The 40B has great dimensions for a reef tank. You'll like it! Good luck!

How's the tank doing? Any recent pics?

Tank's doing well. I got a chalice that was receeding. Don't know if it's stopped or not. I think it is because I broke pieces off a Hollywood Stunner that was getting too big. My dkH had gotten away from me for a bit too, it was too low. We'll see how it does. I probably should have taken the stunner out of the water before I broke the pieces off.

I keep meaning to get my daughter's DSLR to get some pics.

How does the difference in gph between the overflow and your return pump work? I thought you had to get a pump that was rated at 700gph?

I have the same overflow, but have 2 returns, so I thought I have to get an even stronger return pump. Is that right?

How does the difference in gph between the overflow and your return pump work? I thought you had to get a pump that was rated at 700gph?

I have the same overflow, but have 2 returns, so I thought I have to get an even stronger return pump. Is that right?

The rating of the glass-holes return I got (700 gph) is it's maximum. The flow thru the overflow is a function of water height across the teeth-grates. If the water only comes up a hair below the teeth-grate, the gph is obviously zero. If the water height is all the way to the top of the teeth, then the flow rate is 700gph. I doubt it is linear, but I assume it is. In other words, if the water is halfway up the teeth-grates, then the flow is 350gph. At 3/4 up the teeth-grate, the flow is 525 gph.

I also have two returns. Out of the pump, it is 3/4" return, then gets split to two 1/2" returns. How you split it doesn't really matter. I got the Sicce 3.0, which the chart shows that I get around 600 gph with head loss.

post-75255-0-41008000-1375475894_thumb.jpeg
The pump and overflow will self tune, so to speak. Basically, if the return flow is greater than the overflow, your display tank water level will rise. If the return flow is less than the overflow, your display tank water level will fall. If the two flows are equal, then the display tank water level will stay constant. The cool thing about the overflows, as I mentioned above, is that the higher the water level in the tank, the higher GPH the overflow will operate at. As long as the pump, with head loss included, doesn't crank more than 700 gph, the water level in the tank will find a sweet spot so that the pump flow = overflow flow. A pump that cranks out 200 gph with the headloss will have a display tank water level closer to the bottom of the teeth grates. A pump that cranks out 500 gph with headloss will have a display tank water level closer to the top of the teeth grates.
  • 2 weeks later...

The rating of the glass-holes return I got (700 gph) is it's maximum. The flow thru the overflow is a function of water height across the teeth-grates. If the water only comes up a hair below the teeth-grate, the gph is obviously zero. If the water height is all the way to the top of the teeth, then the flow rate is 700gph. I doubt it is linear, but I assume it is. In other words, if the water is halfway up the teeth-grates, then the flow is 350gph. At 3/4 up the teeth-grate, the flow is 525 gph.

I also have two returns. Out of the pump, it is 3/4" return, then gets split to two 1/2" returns. How you split it doesn't really matter. I got the Sicce 3.0, which the chart shows that I get around 600 gph with head loss.

The pump and overflow will self tune, so to speak. Basically, if the return flow is greater than the overflow, your display tank water level will rise. If the return flow is less than the overflow, your display tank water level will fall. If the two flows are equal, then the display tank water level will stay constant. The cool thing about the overflows, as I mentioned above, is that the higher the water level in the tank, the higher GPH the overflow will operate at. As long as the pump, with head loss included, doesn't crank more than 700 gph, the water level in the tank will find a sweet spot so that the pump flow = overflow flow. A pump that cranks out 200 gph with the headloss will have a display tank water level closer to the bottom of the teeth grates. A pump that cranks out 500 gph with headloss will have a display tank water level closer to the top of the teeth grates.

OK, makes sense.........sorry it took me so long to respond, but I haven't been on here in a week. Thanks for the response! I have a Sicce 2.0, which is about 300 gph and too low for the overflow, which I tested today and was utterly disappointed with. I guess I'll follow suit and get a 3.0 as you, as I noticed this pump to be super quiet. Thanks again Mojado!!! :)

• 1 month later...

Tank is looking good man but dang foolio, post a FTS for the community already!! How you gonna have a thread and no FTS. That's like having peanut butter and no jelly! We don't want to read....we want to see pics! Don't make the FTS take as long as it did to build that stand!

I have been waiting for a fts to comment on how cool it looks, I am expecting cool because you did some cool freakin stuff with the rest of the build. I like the industrial strength zip ties btw. Fun fact,a company policy where I worked is to file down a zip tie end to smooth after you trim the excess off of it because so many people would get cut on them. Not saying you need to or anything but whenever I see them I think man I wonder if thats filed down haha.

Tank is looking good man but dang foolio, post a FTS for the community already!! How you gonna have a thread and no FTS. That's like having peanut butter and no jelly! We don't want to read....we want to see pics! Don't make the FTS take as long as it did to build that stand!

4N7WiCC.jpg

That stand did take a long time, though. Haha!

I have been waiting for a fts to comment on how cool it looks, I am expecting cool because you did some cool freakin stuff with the rest of the build. I like the industrial strength zip ties btw. Fun fact,a company policy where I worked is to file down a zip tie end to smooth after you trim the excess off of it because so many people would get cut on them. Not saying you need to or anything but whenever I see them I think man I wonder if thats filed down haha.

Thanks, man. I was going to cut, but I just looped them around. :)

I'll take a FTS soon, this week.

Archived