Pod Your Reef

~~Custom CAD Lights Shallow Reef~~ 36x18x10

lhernandez86

lhernandez86

Ok so I've been out of a hobby for some months now and will be jumping back in when we move into our new house. (Summer) I previously had a ADA 60 F that I loved and put gems in that i hated to part with. So for my new build I wanted a similar tank on a slightly larger scale. Currently having a CAD Lights Shallow Reef being *rebuilt* (36x18x10) since the first attempt was a major FAIL by UPS.

Pics -

Picture003.jpg

Picture008-3.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

The quailty of the tank was awesome....just too bad it arrived like this :( New one should be delivered next week.......hopefully.

Equipment for this tank -

Ecotech Radion Gen 2

Vortech MP10 W ES

Eheim Return Pump

Eshopps R-200 Refugium

Skimmer - Reef Octopus POV DC-1

Livestock -

25lbs of Real Reef Live Rock

Seems like this is pretty common with Cadlights, perhaps some of the problem is the way they package these tanks for shipping?

lhernandez86

yes the packaging wasn't impressive but was happy with the quality of the tank. I don't have to pay anything out of pocket for the replacement so I'm good for now...

NEED HELP - picking out a skimmer for this tank

Looking at the following:

Vertex Omega 150

RLSS Ri-6

Reef Octopus POV DC-1

Any input will help - I've read up on all of them and they all have there pros and cons.... couldn't really find anything on the RLSS Ri 6 though.

• 2 weeks later...
lhernandez86

Very nice equipment, that skimmer is gorgeous! The tank looks like it will be as well, when it arrives in one piece.

lhernandez86

Very nice equipment, that skimmer is gorgeous! The tank looks like it will be as well, when it arrives in one piece.

Thanks - The quality of the skimmer is amazing, I've heard nothing but great things about it and will be doing a review once it up and running. Tank should be shipping out this week....we'll see....Like you said I just wan it to arrive intact.

lhernandez86

Looking forward to seeing your build. I have the cadlights 50g artisan, 36 X 18 X 18 and I love it.

Thanks! - How was your shipping experience with these guys?

Yeeeaahhh, if you could just go ahead and send me a golfball sized piece of your liverock,

that would be greeeaat.

lhernandez86

Yeeeaahhh, if you could just go ahead and send me a golfball sized piece of your liverock,

that would be greeeaat.

Lol - this stuff is crazy purple....was amazed when I saw it at the LFS

Dang you are lucky yo score such beautifully encrusted liverock! My LFS has ugly brown, aptasia filled crap.

Can't wait till you get your new tank. Maybe CAD Lights will step up their game with their issues lately.

Keep in mind that a lot of that purple will turn white when you first put the rock in and go through the cycle. But it should return over time. B)

Thanks! - How was your shipping experience with these guys?

I didn't have any problems. They didn't send it by UPS though. Mine was sent via Fedex Freight.

lhernandez86

Keep in mind that a lot of that purple will turn white when you first put the rock in and go through the cycle. But it should return over time. B)

You really think so? This is cured live rock....they have about 1000lbs (looked like it) of it in the back in a Liverock display at the LFS.

Dang you are lucky yo score such beautifully encrusted liverock! My LFS has ugly brown, aptasia filled crap.

Can't wait till you get your new tank. Maybe CAD Lights will step up their game with their issues lately.

Yea not everyone is carrying this and those that big make up pretty high...bought this at an anniversary sale so i got 30% off.

I didn't have any problems. They didn't send it by UPS though. Mine was sent via Fedex Freight.

Ok might be the issue then... hope this next one gets here ok so i can order the plumbing

You really think so? This is cured live rock....they have about 1000lbs (looked like it) of it in the back in a Liverock display at the LFS.

Honestly it depends on how long it is in the open air. But yes, some will, but it will color back up. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Plus there is plenty there. LOL

lhernandez86

Honestly it depends on how long it is in the open air. But yes, some will, but it will color back up. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Plus there is plenty there. LOL

Well i just figured since its man made and painted on that it wouldn't lose color....either way I'm not too worried about it since I will keep it "live"

I think CAD can learn a thing or two from the way that ADA and MarineDepot ship out their aquariums. I've bought a total of 8 Mr. Aqua aquariums from MarineDepot, all the way up to their 33G, and I have never received a damaged/shattered tank. They ship their tanks by putting the aquarium in a regular size box, filling that box up with like miracle foam or something, then they close up that box and put that entire box in a larger box, then fill that box with styrofoam peanuts. It obviously works well. They also don't seem to overcharge you for that process either. I've never ordered an ADA, though I don't think I've ever actually seen a build thread where someone received a smashed ADA in the mail. Maybe it's because they take so much pride in their handcrafted aquariums that they also take the care neccessary to make sure their work isn't destroyed in the mail. Speaks a lot towards their overall care and methods of aquarium building and shipping.

Still, with that tl,dr being said lol, CADlights still make awesome aquariums from what I've seen so I don't think you will be disappointed once you get the good one!

I'm following along. :)

lhernandez86

Real Reef live rock....from the first post. So yeah....it's painted that color, right?

I'm thinking that was a joke. B)

Wait, is the rock naturally encrusted or is it man made painted like that?

Yep Man made rock....and it looks this awesome....you should check out there website http://realreefrock.com/

I think CAD can learn a thing or two from the way that ADA and MarineDepot ship out their aquariums. I've bought a total of 8 Mr. Aqua aquariums from MarineDepot, all the way up to their 33G, and I have never received a damaged/shattered tank. They ship their tanks by putting the aquarium in a regular size box, filling that box up with like miracle foam or something, then they close up that box and put that entire box in a larger box, then fill that box with styrofoam peanuts. It obviously works well. They also don't seem to overcharge you for that process either. I've never ordered an ADA, though I don't think I've ever actually seen a build thread where someone received a smashed ADA in the mail. Maybe it's because they take so much pride in their handcrafted aquariums that they also take the care neccessary to make sure their work isn't destroyed in the mail. Speaks a lot towards their overall care and methods of aquarium building and shipping.

Still, with that tl,dr being said lol, CADlights still make awesome aquariums from what I've seen so I don't think you will be disappointed once you get the good one!

I'm following along. :)

My 7 gallon Cadlights Zen aquarium was very well packed.

I agree the shipping could be better but.....I got price quotes from Reef Savvy and some other companies and by far CAD Lights is the most affordable with Starfire Glass (Paid 2 times less).....the quality of broken tank above was awesome, I was super happy with....but it arrived broken. lol Fingers cross!

Archived