ReefCleaners.org

How to ship zoas!

buddythelion

buddythelion

Hey guys,

So I made a previous video on how to frag zoas (just click the youtube profile to find the vid). After some practice, I think I'm getting the hang of shipping corals now and here's how I ship them. So far everything's been good other than a trade that had to do with the weather being too warm. Hope this helps some people get some idea on how to ship zoas safely and securely although I'm sure this method can be applied to any corals on a frag plug (minus SPS, I have a good idea on how to ship those) that will be mostly flat.

Here's a list of materials:

• Razorblade (pretty easy to get anywhere)
  • Cyanoacrylate Gel/BSI (should be in your arsenal of fragging already)
  • To-Go Sauce cups (local grocery store)
  • Heat packs (ebay)
  • Fishy baggies (LFS)
  • Rubberbands (Anywhere I guess, just got some from the LFS)
  • Shipping box with styrofoam box, packaging peanuts, and newspaper. (I just reuse all of the boxes I get from online purchases)
  • Optional, but highly recommended: Heat sealing a 3rd layer (I do anyways)

Pretty easy to follow method with very easy to find materials. Hope it helps! Lmk if there are any questions or comments. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag8e7aY3uLA

buddythelion

How much time did you spend to pack for just 1 frag?

I'm not sure if this is a serious question, or if you're implying something else?

Probably the most time consuming is cutting out the little container parts. A sharper razor blade or dremel would make quick work of that, or even a screw driver. But I don't really keep those tools with me where my tank is.

If you could share, what's your shipping method?

I'm not sure if this is a serious question, or if you're implying something else?

Probably the most time consuming is cutting out the little container parts. A sharper razor blade or dremel would make quick work of that, or even a screw driver. But I don't really keep those tools with me where my tank is.

You should buy a few frags from him next time and see how he does it. Tenor is hands down one of the best shippers around.....and a good guy. Doubt he was implying anything. You asked for comments and questions.

eddiecorrea

Cut a small piece of foam. Jam the plug base into it. Put the foam in the container upside down. The foam should push against the container edges. That way the frag is suspended and can not get banged around.

Cut a small piece of foam. Jam the plug base into it. Put the foam in the container upside down. The foam should push against the container edges. That way the frag is suspended and can not get banged around.

Hey Eddie, you are the fast learner. It took me a week to figure that out. hehehe

buddythelion

I've seen those styrofoam techniques when I got some corals, but usually they end up falling off the foam. They don't fall off for you guys?

Hey, no offence. I'm serious want to know the time that took you from cutting the container til frag in the bag, It doesn't worth it if more than 5 minutes per frag.

I've seen those styrofoam techniques when I got some corals, but usually they end up falling off the foam. They don't fall off for you guys?

I basically ship all my corals with styrofoam. I use a small rubberband to hold the plug itself tight to the styrofoam.

buddythelion

Hey, no offence. I'm serious want to know the time that took you from cutting the container til frag in the bag, It doesn't worth it if more than 5 minutes per frag.

From the video I just posted, it takes about a min to cut a lil square. so about 5 mins for 2 frags on the container into the bag, maybe a few more if I take my time. I'm open to other suggestions for shipping, always willing to try something new to help the frags.

NanoPoseidon

I for one definitely appreciate a shipper that takes his/her time packaging the items I am going to receive. Doesn't make much sense to pay such a high premium for fine livestock as well as overnight shipping if they are not packaged with as much care as possible! Thanks for the insight! Hopefully, I can buy from you some time in the future!

NP

buddythelion

I for one definitely appreciate a shipper that takes his/her time packaging the items I am going to receive. Doesn't make much sense to pay such a high premium for fine livestock as well as overnight shipping if they are not packaged with as much care as possible! Thanks for the insight! Hopefully, I can buy from you some time in the future!

NP

Thanks NP!

I just made this thread to help those thinking of shipping, but don't know quite where to start. I find videos to be the most useful when trying to learn something as I learn things quickly with visuals. Yeah, my method takes a bit of work, but the way I see it a few minutes here and there to prep the frag is worth it to avoid anything that could stress the frag and having to deal with replacements or refunds. That would be way more work then cutting just a few squares! I don't really notice how long it takes to do this to be honest because I'm having fun experimenting methods and it's new to me, it's also me expanding my hobby.

I don't exactly have tons of frags laying around waiting to heal so I can have a FS thread shortly, I don't propogate like that yet so I don't really worry about having to mass things efficiently either. Besides, it doesn't take THAT long to do this. Took me about 12 minutes to prep everything, bag, and put into the box. And that's with me explaining the vid. Prob about a min to cut one square? Not that long...

This isn't really a thread to say "This is the best way to ship, do it!" but just to help those beginning to ship. Everyone's got their own style, and I'm just sharing mine to prevent those loose frags in one fishy bag kind of things. I'm sure I'll find another method, as I'm always looking around and trying to be creative.

I need a zoa fragging "buddy" in my life. I'm terrified of the little suckers.

Y scared? :) just dont go licking up on them! I fragged several before my algae battle... Now that I'm coming around I hope to do several more.

Y scared? :) just dont go licking up on them! I fragged several before my algae battle... Now that I'm coming around I hope to do several more.

I wear safety glasses and all but these things are always so slimy I can't get a grip. I've fragged some but it has not been easy.

NanoPoseidon

Thanks NP!

I just made this thread to help those thinking of shipping, but don't know quite where to start. I find videos to be the most useful when trying to learn something as I learn things quickly with visuals. Yeah, my method takes a bit of work, but the way I see it a few minutes here and there to prep the frag is worth it to avoid anything that could stress the frag and having to deal with replacements or refunds. That would be way more work then cutting just a few squares! I don't really notice how long it takes to do this to be honest because I'm having fun experimenting methods and it's new to me, it's also me expanding my hobby.

I don't exactly have tons of frags laying around waiting to heal so I can have a FS thread shortly, I don't propogate like that yet so I don't really worry about having to mass things efficiently either. Besides, it doesn't take THAT long to do this. Took me about 12 minutes to prep everything, bag, and put into the box. And that's with me explaining the vid. Prob about a min to cut one square? Not that long...

This isn't really a thread to say "This is the best way to ship, do it!" but just to help those beginning to ship. Everyone's got their own style, and I'm just sharing mine to prevent those loose frags in one fishy bag kind of things. I'm sure I'll find another method, as I'm always looking around and trying to be creative.

You could have taken a thousand different directions and I still would have been impressed. Its more about the care you show for the "animal" as well as the willingness to take a few extra steps to ensure a satisfied customer! Well done sir! Just let me know when you are ready to turn loose and sell some of those! :-D

Archived