Cultivated Reef

Enteromorpha help

metrokat

I've finally been able to get my turf algae identified. John Maloney was very helpful and ID'd it as enteromorpha. I am unable to find any help online for how to get rid of it. A peroxide dip has been unsuccessful.

For me it grows in small tuffts on the glass and also on the frag tray and plugs. I have soaked the frag tray in bleach and killed it off but it came right back, most likely as a small unseen piece on the frags that occupied the same frag tray.

While this can be invasive and also common, I have found little information besides tangs like it. I can't have a tang I have a nano. I am lucky that it is not a huge problem yet but it has been tenacious despite my best efforts at removal.

Does anyone have any links or solutions to this algae?

Thanks.

racer_X_123

Actually I was thinking about it over lunch... wouldn't this growing take out nutrients out of the water? Don't people pay money to add cheato in the back chamber?

Just thinking out loud... I have a green hair algae that never seems to go away no matter how low my phosphates get so I just look at it as a source or nutrient export when I "harvest"

Enteromorpha does grow in nutrient rich waters, and mine are. If it was a clump I had in my fuge I would not bother. But it is not and it needs to go. Bring out the tang police, I might need to borrow a tang.

shaneandjohn

I tried peroxide and elevated mag levels and had no Luck.I picked up a Blue Tuxedo Urchin 5 days ago, and it is making a Huge Difference. I am not sure about the Urchin and Macros yet, I moved them out of that tank when I elevated my mag levels. You might give one a try!

racer_X_123

The problem with urchins is that they pick up everything and I can image in a nano it would cause all sorts of havoc.

Kat what size is your tank? Im sure a Tang would be fine for a week or 2

shaneandjohn

Yes, the Urchin is a Magnet, However, it is the first thing I have found that will Touch the Algae. I have been Fighting with it for about 1-1/2 years. If there are other suggestions I will definitely listen. :)

The problem with urchins is that they pick up everything and I can image in a nano it would cause all sorts of havoc.

Problem is a tang won't get it all and as soon as you remove it the algae will come right back.

I tried peroxide and elevated mag levels and had no Luck.I picked up a Blue Tuxedo Urchin 5 days ago, and it is making a Huge Difference. I am not sure about the Urchin and Macros yet, I moved them out of that tank when I elevated my mag levels. You might give one a try!

Shane, do you have pictures of your enteromorpha?

it's a 34G and a baby would be fine but I won;t do it, I was kidding about a tang. They are severely prone to ick. I woul d not have the capacity to QT a fish only to return him a few weeks later being that QT itself is a 2 week minimum time frame.

algea blenny?

I have a midas and am afraid of them fighting.

Turf algaes are tough to get rid of...if you pick up an urchin just get a pencil urchin or longspine so it doesn't "wear" half of your corals and loose rocks.

I've never had issues with turf algae, but when battled GHA, I found that when I tried to solely lower nutrient levels, the algae growth would slow down or even stop, but obviously the algae was still present and as soon as the nutrient levels increased, it started growing like crazy again. What finally worked for me was first removing as much of the algae that I could, then making sure the nutrient levels stayed low. And even though after a little while I didn't take good care of the tank and nutrients increased, the GHA didn't come back.

I hope my story helps :)

shaneandjohn

This is about the best I can do as far as pic. This mainly grows on my Back wall on my Solana and will grow from my Substrate. It only has shown on one Piece of Rock. The Urchin is Munching away :)

post-63035-0-57231800-1363224441_thumb.jpg

Im thinking that you could borrow a Baby tang.... Get flamed for a little bit. And try an urchin. In addition to some rigorous manual removal.

Im thinking that you could borrow a Baby tang.... Get flamed for a little bit. And try an urchin. In addition to some rigorous manual removal.

:lol: yeah like I really need more attention :rolleyes:

seriously thought, the manual removal is pretty constant, but I have to interject that it is not crazy explosve growth (at least not in my tank) it is slow and steady and tenacious but so far it has been easy to remove since it grows on the glass. The bits that grow on frag plugs are the devil.

The bits that grow on frag plugs are the devil.

I feel your pain. I have some dictyota that has a foothold on my zoas and some hair algae near my torch's polyps. I need to manually pick it all otherwise the CUC will ignore it. :tears:

I feel your pain. I have some dictyota that has a foothold on my zoas and some hair algae near my torch's polyps. I need to manually pick it all otherwise the CUC will ignore it. :tears:

oh God dictyota! Another thorn in my side! Or actually (thankfully) just on my surface skimmer grate.

20130313_164624.jpg

Peroxide is good on your problems.

loyalhero90

I've had this stuff before...it looks a little different though. Mine looked like a thin, ribbony version of ulva and I got if from gulf-cost ecosystems. Anyway my ceriths, astrea and other various snails mowed through it eventually to the point that I just didn't buy it anymore. The small ceriths were especially greedy and sometimes my blue crab would grab a few. I have actually not been able to keep graciliaria or ulva in my tank due to my snails need to eat it.

...actually not to go against an expert because John is really good with macros but it really doesn't look like enteromorpha to me...maybe it is the picture but it looks way too stiff or filamentous...maybe it is a different type of enteromorpha but mine looked just like an anorexic version of ulva.

Any way some starving snails (ceriths and turbos) might do the trick

Here is a link from gulf-cost ecosystems about it:

http://live-plants.com/enteromorpha.htm

I've had this stuff before...it looks a little different though. Mine looked like a thin, ribbony version of ulva and I got if from gulf-cost ecosystems. Anyway my ceriths, astrea and other various snails mowed through it eventually to the point that I just didn't buy it anymore. The small ceriths were especially greedy and sometimes my blue crab would grab a few. I have actually not been able to keep graciliaria or ulva in my tank due to my snails need to eat it.

...actually not to go against an expert because John is really good with macros but it really doesn't look like enteromorpha to me...maybe it is the picture but it looks way too stiff or filamentous...maybe it is a different type of enteromorpha but mine looked just like an anorexic version of ulva.

Any way some starving snails (ceriths and turbos) might do the trick

Here is a link from gulf-cost ecosystems about it:

http://live-plants.com/enteromorpha.htm

Yours is a different species of enteromorpha from mine. They are all classified as this algae but there are varieties and trust me nothing eats mine. I have a diverse and abundant CUC.

But thanks for the tip, I'll email Russ to see if he can offer advice.

Archived