Coral Vue Hydros

40B SPS Lighting Idea

Kfmmartin19

Alright so I have a new idea for a possible upgrade to a 40B SPS tank. I just ordered the reef breeders 120w value fixture for my biocube. http://reefbreeders.com/bridgelux_value.html

What if I put that in the middle of a 40B with one of these on the front and back of the tank?:

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLife_T5_HO_Light_Link_Fixture_Marine_24_Inch_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures-AquaticLife-AK01138-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

U think that'd look good/be enough light to have SPS anywhere in tank? Let me know what u guys think. Thanks!

Howdy,

I have a glass lid, which attenuates a lot of light, and have two of those fixtures plus a reefbright LED strip above my 40. It seems to be enough light for all my SPS. I would think keeping them mounted a little higher but with no lid would produce plenty of light.

IMO the aquatic life is a decent budget light with a decent reflector, but there are lights with much better reflectors so just make sure you aren't saving money now but end up upgrading for more light. My SPS are only a few months old and I have no comparison to judge if they are getting enough light or not. All I know is they are growing. :)

about the same price, actually. Plus I wanted to try t5s and LEDs. Just to switch things up a bit. Anyways, what do u think?

Howdy,I have a glass lid, which attenuates a lot of light, and have two of those fixtures plus a reefbright LED strip above my 40. It seems to be enough light for all my SPS. I would think keeping them mounted a little higher but with no lid would produce plenty of light.IMO the aquatic life is a decent budget light with a decent reflector, but there are lights with much better reflectors so just make sure you aren't saving money now but end up upgrading for more light. My SPS are only a few months old and I have no comparison to judge if they are getting enough light or not. All I know is they are growing. :)
Hey thanks for replying mark! I plan on getting two also. And I will be using quality ATI bulbs. Know of any other decent 36" 2 bulb t5 fixtures? Didn't seem to be many options. Plus I would guess that my reefbreeders fixture would be a bit more powerful/better spectrum than a reef bright so maybe that would help. How do u like the look of it? A lot of shimmer or not really? Thanks!
itd probably be fine. Little dark around the edges but with just lps and leathers id think it'd be ok. Thats the one im getting too

Ok thanks if you get your fixture first and could post a pic that would be awesome..id like to see a 40 b lit up with that fixture before i buy probably will not order one for a week or so...but it seems right for the price...

Ok thanks if you get your fixture first and could post a pic that would be awesome..id like to see a 40 b lit up with that fixture before i buy probably will not order one for a week or so...but it seems right for the price...

well if u want to see one on a 40B youll have to look elsewhere cuz mine's going over a Biocube 29. The 40B upgrade will likely be this summer.

Archived