inTank Media Baskets

CT Frag Farmers Market

TinyGiant

I had a TON of fun at this event last year. I plan on bringing another 300+ frags to sell. Come buy from me and a ton of other people. Last year they had 5 rooms packed with sellers.

FFM2013.jpg
"
What is a "Frag Farmer's Market"?
Inspired by the idea of the the reef club frag swap, the New England Frag Farmer's represents a regional event with "farmers" from all over New England gather to sell their home grown "crop." The E.O. Smith Coral Project opens the doors to the school for any local hobbyist, retail or online store to come in and set-up a tank to sell coral frags. Admission is free, so anyone can come in and chat with the farmers, share information and get a few nice homegrown frags to stock their tanks.
Why organize the Frag Farmer's?
The coral reefs of the world are in peril as a result of numerous human activities, including the marine aquarium trade. As a hobbyist myself, I find it upsetting that I am taking part in destroying the reefs that I love so much. The hobby that we all take part in pulls ten of thousands of corals out of the oceans each year, with a focus on finding the rare and hard to find specimens. The irony is that most hobbyists have the ability to successfully grow coral colonies from tiny pieces of the colony and can, in time, create full sized colonies in captivity, with minimal effect on the ocean populations. By providing a venue for local hobbyists to sell homegrown coral frags from their tanks, my hope is that more people will take the time to frag the corals that they have. If we can take one coral colony from the wild, cut it into 25 pieces, put it into 25 people's tanks who grow it out and frag it, we will not have to take another colony of that coral from the wild in the future. By hosting the event, I also give the hobbyist a chance to see some of the incredible diversity of homegrown coral that is available in the New England area. By giving hobbyists the opportunity to stock their tanks, learn a few things from people who are successfully growing corals in their aquariums, and leave ready to start growing and fragging themselves, I am hoping to have a positive effect on the environmental impact of our hobby.
2013 Frag Farmer Sponsors
The following companies have generously supported the Frag Farmer's Market this year either by donations to the market, or by participating with their frags. These businesses have shown commitment to the environment by providing frags, supplies to frag, or "greener" options to reefkeeping in general. The E.O. Smith Coral Project encourages you to take a minute to support these businesses when purchasing equipment, fragging supplies, or frags for your systems. Take a minute to look over their websites using the attached links. Check back often, this list is ALWAYS growing!
Thanks-
Jon Swanson
Director"
  • 5 weeks later...

anyone coming this year? i hear they have 40 sellers already lined up

jason fox will be there this year too!

i started fragging again to stock up for the event. I hope to bring close to 300 frags down with me

Who is going this year!?

little list of stuff i fragged up last night

15 ORA green birds nest
12 Pink Birdsnest
6 Photosynthetic Gorgs
12 Green star polyps
19 orange monti cap
6 superman monti digi
6 green cabbage leather
7 blue/green elephant palys
8 Neon Green Monti cap
10 Flowerpot Caps

I also still have a ton of more mature frags in my frag system too.. and about another 100 plugs to fill.

I also have some combo rocks i can bring if they are pre paid for. (rocks with multiple frags on them) these are at least a couple months old and i add stuff to them all the time.

not that i know of.. not an official one. its run by a school science department as a fundraiser. There are threads all over the internet.. but i dont think there is an official one.. maybe on a CT reef club somewhere?

do it! it was an awesome event last year. i wasnt able to walk around much since i was selling the whole time.. but 5 rooms of sellers gives for a bunch of variety

• 2 weeks later...

I reworked my frag display system to include a sump and two k-nanos. Last year i had trouble keeping the temperature where it should be. With the heater in the bottle sump i should be ready to rock.

IMG_20130215_144711_zps12cbdce2.jpgIMG_20130215_144717_zps9ec31f77.jpg

IMG_20130215_144723_zpsde835be6.jpg

IMG_20130215_144735_zpsf8224629.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
randythefishdude

I havent posted in a long time..I just started to redo my tank..but if your deciding on going go this event sells tons of corals.

high end, to starter frags, and large colonys

Jason Fox will be there, and the sponser list is very large.

There are frags here from 5 -500$
I would say most are very good priced, and bargans...

lots of clams last year

make sure you come out!

this year will be much bigger aswell!

the club I run in NH had a swap today at my house and I sold about 50 frags from my holding system. but after the swap was over i had the ambition (thanks to a couple cups of coffe) to redo my rock columns again.. due to some majanos that have been bugging the heck out of me for months.. I had to move a bunch of sps colonies and make my stacks much sturdier... i'm not really digging the new look.. but i was able to get another 40 or so frags from the adventure and i ended up with a RBTA split...

i will be selling for $8ea or if you buy 5 or more $5ea

as far as variety i will have

Lord of the Rings Zoa

Radio Active Green Dragon Eye Zoa

Keds Reds Zoa

Pink and Gold palys

Blue Palys

Green Palys

neon Green Cloves

Cabbage leather

Photosynthetic Sea Fan Gorg

Green Star Polyp

Pink Birdsnest

ORA Green Birdsnest

Rainbow Pink Stylo

Monti Danae

Superman Monti Digi

Blue/purple Monti Digi

Orange Monti cap

Purple Rim Monti cap

Green Monti cap

Chili Monti cap (green with red polyps)

Flower Pot Monti cap (green with purple polyps)

Elkhorn Monti (endangered species now!)

meteorshower Cephystrea Digitata (branching metorshower)

Blue Ridge Coral (neat hard body Soft coral)

neon Green Pocillipora damicornis

I could bring some chaeto if anyone needs it

(I ran out of a couple frags the other day after having my nhfragswap.com monthly swap at my house)

Armor of God Zoa

Hawaiin Starburst Zoa

Nuclear Green Paly

Pom pom Xenia

Pavona catus

I think that completes the list. i will plan on making a stock list soon and organizing them all on the racks.. So i will know better what I have when i get the ambition to tackle that lol

FFMMap2013_zps79bf5bc4.jpg

they have me marked at Chris VT for some reason. lol but Bob H is a member of our club and will also have great frags at low prices too.. i know he's been stocking up and has a good 200+ to bring.

but i am in room 107 next to swanson (guy running the farmers market)

this room will also be the room they do all the raffles in at the end of the night

Here are a couple posts from another forum where he guy organizing the event gives some more info

Here is the long awaited FFM list! I am more or less full (I can make room for one or two more if I need to...). My appologies to everyone whose name I messed up somehow (or location is incorrect). I am putting together the raffle list this week sometime and will release that info as well. See you all there!

-Jon

Affordable Aquatics CT

Algagen FL

Anthony27 NYC

Aquadreams MA

Artreaction CT

Boston Aqua Farms MA

Chris M MA

Chriskid CT

CT Marinlife CT

E.O. Smith Coral Project CT

elmafioso52988 (Pablo) BRS

Emessier CT

Exotic Fish and Corals CT

Exotic Reef Creations MD

Fish Frenzy MA

Frank180 BRS

Gotham Aquatics NYC

Greg Hiller BRS

Hammer NH

HeadieCorals VA

Icycoral CT

Jason Foxx Parts Unknown

Jmar101786 NYC

knockOUT Aquatics LLC PA

Kwong1998 NYC

KyleinCT CT

Love the Reef BRS

Marco Rocks MA

MO~Idol (Steve) NYC

NYCPassat NYC

Oceanus MA

OzoneParkGuy NYC

Pablo NYC

Puppy Center CT

R+R Aquatics NYC

Reef Creations NYC

OSRAS RI

Shector/Bubbabobobbrain CT

SubWOOer NY

Suicideissleep CT

Swannyson CT

Tinygiant (Chris) NH

Tropic Marin MA

Upstate Corals NY

Walsh Services LLC (Custom Acryic Tanks/Cabinets) MA

"This represents only the items that I have in my hands at this time or have confirmation that they are coming. There is a somewhat large list of items that are coming in the mail still or I have yet to confirm. I will post updates in the next few days as wel get closer!

Frist off thank you to CaribSea for providing a massive amount of water for this year's FFM. I will still be mixing water to make up the few gallons I will still need but they really have supported the FFM and my project from the start and I owe them big time! They may also have sent up a bit of Purple-up. Come early it disappears FAST!!!

Also thanks to SeaChem for offering to provide Reef Dip for people to take home and use for the frags that they pick up. I will have a number of "vials" of it available that day. Grab one and be safe!

Here is the in alphabetical order...

Apogee - PAR Meter

AquaC - Remora Skimmer

Avast Marine - Media Reactor

Bob's Exotic - Gift Certificates

Boston Aqua Farms - Fragging Supplies

Brightwell - Reef Supplement Packages

Buildmy LED - LED light bar

CaribSea -Live sand and Base Rock

Coral Props -Gift Certificates

Cutivated Reef - Gift Certificates

Ecoxotic - EcoPico Tank

Eshopps - Frag Cave and Jellyfish Herd

Glass-holes - Overflow kit + Shirt

LED Group Buy - 6" Heat sink and Gift Certificate to buy LED's for it

Love the Reef - Gift Certificates

Next Reef - MR 1 Reactor Kit

NuageDesigns - Framed Reef Wall Art

OSRAS - Conference Tickets (2)

Precision Marine - Protein Skimmer

Puppy Center - Gift Certificates + ?

R+R Aquatics - Gift Certificates

Rapid LED - 24" Solderless Actinic Supplement Kit

Reef Chicks - Gift Certificate

Reef Geek - Shirt and Gift Certificate

Reef Rock - Sand and Base Rock

Rocky Mountain Frags - One BIG Gift Certificate

Rods Reef - Frozen Food Variety Packs

Sea and Reef - Designer Clown Pairs

Sea Chem - Reef Supplement Package

Totally Exotic Corals of Oregon - Gift Certificates

Tropic Marin - 200 gallon bucket Tropic Marin Bio-ACTIF System Salt , 6, Salt Water pH Tests, 6 Liquid Bio-CALCIUM Sets, 6, 6 X 5,000 Liquid Bio-CALCIUM Liquid Refill Sets, 6, Salt Water pH Tests

Wow, that was a lot of typing... did I mention there was more stuff that isn't on the list yet?

See you in a few weeks.

-Jon"

New to forums, joined today since a buddy in Florida showed me this meet. Excited to go! New to corals only have 4 in my 75 gallon currently hopefully I will find some nice zoas and ricordeas on Saturday to decorate the barren tank..

See you guys there!

same here. i'm pretty pumped for it. I have to get up at 6:30am to drive to a friends house then we are carpooling there to hopefully be there at 10 to setup early.. Hoping that the frags will open up within an hour of being there.

last year my stuff wasnt opening up .. so this year i have flow and heat in the display system.. should look great.

Archived