Cultivated Reef

This Is Why You Don't Mess With Morays

Jacob042426

so we were fishing and my brother caught a 3 foot moray eel. i was trying to take out the hook, and it extended it's neck and grabbed a nice sized chunk out of my hand.

photo_4_zps4e944b54.jpg

I lost so much blood that i almost feinted:

photo_2_zps03a3fc7f.jpg

i ended up getting 24 stitches. i am blessed that it didnt hit any of tendons or ligaments. it was so close that you could see all of the main tendons. the doctor was amazed. pretty crazy, huh? they have earned so much respect from me , that ill be keeping a lot more in the 180 than i planned to. they are really incredible creatures.

and the stitches 3 days later...

Photoon12-31-12at139PM_zps0426d435.jpg
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. They are nasty. Glad your alright Jacob.

This lady my dad was working for once called him over to watch her add her new fish and moray. The lfs swore up and down to her that it would be fine together since the fish was fricken huge. The eel went in first and within 5 seconds of the fish hitting the water, it was chomped twice, nearly ripped in half. SHe got her refund for a $700 fish.

• Like 2

thanks guys. surprisingly it didnt hurt at all, ever. right after it bit me, i was like "woah! this is awesome!" :lol:

and its really starting to heal nicely. no signs of infections or anything. ill post another pic of the scar when the stitches come out.

pretty decent sewing job. glad there isnt infection, you lucked out in a couple ways youve already mentioned.

if you fish often, im sure you know now to invest in some good gloves!

• Like 1

lol yea your body does amazing things to halt pain

so true. :lol:

pretty decent sewing job. glad there isnt infection, you lucked out in a couple ways youve already mentioned.

if you fish often, im sure you know now to invest in some good gloves!

the doctor was also a plastic surgeon, i guess that's why it looks so clean!

im not even going to bother with gloves, ill just cut the line! :P

Pretty good gash. Now you have a pretty cool story to tell. But you gotta spice it up some. It was a 18 foot eel or a shark or something. :D Glad you are ok man.

Pretty good gash. Now you have a pretty cool story to tell. But you gotta spice it up some. It was a 18 foot eel or a shark or something. :D Glad you are ok man.

haha, when i posted it on facebook i made it sound like this crazy battle with a giant moray, not this little 3 footer. :lol:

• Like 2

If this is real , then I'm glad to hear that all is well .

BUT

The first 2 pics show damage to the RIGHT hand , and the third pic appears to be of a stitched up LEFT hand . Am I seeing that wrong ?

• Like 1
If this is real , then I'm glad to hear that all is well .

BUT

The first 2 pics show damage to the RIGHT hand , and the third pic appears to be of a stitched up LEFT hand . Am I seeing that wrong ?

Look at the placement of the small cuts around it. They're the same. Probably a mirror pic from the awkward angle.

If this is real , then I'm glad to hear that all is well . BUT The first 2 pics show damage to the RIGHT hand , and the third pic appears to be of a stitched up LEFT hand . Am I seeing that wrong ?

I thought the SAME thing. But then realized the 3rd is taken in a mirror. Atleast that is what it looked like to me.

Look at the placement of the small cuts around it. They're the same. Probably a mirror pic from the awkward angle.

Yup.

thanks guys. surprisingly it didnt hurt at all, ever. right after it bit me, i was like "woah! this is awesome!" :lol:

and its really starting to heal nicely. no signs of infections or anything. ill post another pic of the scar when the stitches come out.

The same thing happened to me when I crashed on my bike, that's gonna make a nice scar!

If this is real , then I'm glad to hear that all is well . BUT The first 2 pics show damage to the RIGHT hand , and the third pic appears to be of a stitched up LEFT hand . Am I seeing that wrong ?

the first two pics were with a normal camera, and the last one is from a webcam that mirrors everything.

Don't send him any money, guys.

:lol:

:tears:

Archived