Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Josh's [De- Rimmed] 10 Gallon Nano

JMCollins24

jedimasterben
Awesome! Well I will be unmounting and hanging it a little higher today then... any idea on the best way to acclimate corals to these kind of bulbs?

Since it is not dimmable, I would either raise it and lower it back down slowly or add some window screen over the tank to limit the amount of light coming in. That's one reason I love having a controller, I can just set it whatever percentage I want it to hit at maximum and it's done. :)

Since it is not dimmable, I would either raise it and lower it back down slowly or add some window screen over the tank to limit the amount of light coming in. That's one reason I love having a controller, I can just set it whatever percentage I want it to hit at maximum and it's done. :)

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I wanted to go DIY, but for my first LEDs- I'm happy with the bulb... I like your idea of raising the light and slowly lowering it... I raised it up for not and wow, what a difference!

I bought a torch to put in my tank today, so I'm going to start it out on the sand bed and gradually place it higher in the tank. Right now she's drip acclimating and then she'll have an iodine bath before she goes into the tank... pictures to come soon!

New torch seems to be doing great! All three heads seem pretty happy and healthy! Plus, I found my clown already trying to host it :P I'm going to move it up a bit today to the part of the rock that I want to mount it to see how it goes... Maybe some more coral today, too :)

Pictures don't do it justice because of my camera not being able to look beyond the blue LEDs... It's such a bright green and the LEDs really make it pop!

IMG_2997.JPG

So I've added some Zoas to my tank.. :P

They were a little mad here since I just moved them from the sandbed up onto a rock

2012-12-07%2019.48.52.jpg

I was also having an issue with some surface "scum" so I decided to take to google to see what I could find for a DIY surface skimmer... I found this nano-reef thread and I made the same for my tank... The difference is that I have an AC50, so I used a 1/2" X 3/4" tee, and the elbow and pipe I used were 3/4". I had to use a little bit of putty to adhere the tubing to the tee since the tee was just slightly bigger than the intake for the AC50. The "surface skimmer" tubing is not glued into the elbow, so it will come apart easily for cleaning.

2012-12-07%2019.24.52.jpg

Cutting the teeth was a little bit of a challenge since I didn't have a dremel, but all in all they came out ok. I'm going to paint it black with krylon fusion so it will blend in better, but for now it seems to be doing the trick!

2012-12-07%2019.24.40.jpg

A better shot of Kikko! B)

2012-12-07%2019.50.46.jpg

FTS 12.07.12

2012-12-07%2019.51.54.jpg

Soon enough I hope to get a MP10, but in the meantime, my AC50/Koralia nano/ DIY Surface skimmer seems to work out A- OK! :)

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been a while since I've posted anything, but a lot has been added so I thought it was time to make an update! I've added my clean up crew that I ordered from John @ Reefclearners.org... I don't know why I didn't order from John the last time, but I'm definitely glad I did this time around... I've added a lot of corals to my tank, but haven't taken a lot of pictures recently... I went coral crazy yesterday and picked up some nice stuff, so I'll be updating again later when I get some more pictures.. Plus I added a nice black clown to the mix, still deciding on a new name...? B)

New Zoas.. I know some are eagle eyes, and I think the one purple on in the middle is a gorilla nipple and the green zoas are Radioactive dragon eyes..

IMG_20121217_191705.jpg

New Zoas: More gorilla nipples B)

IMG_20121217_191512.jpg

Top-view of frogspawn... AWESOME coloration! :)

IMG_20121217_191620.jpg

Top-View of Tank 12.17.12

IMG_20121217_191610.jpg

FTS 12.17.12

IMG_20121217_191545.jpg

• 6 months later...

Archived