Cultivated Reef

Skimming without an overflow

gelo360

Sorry for the noob question....How can skim the surface of my tank without an overflow? If I use a HOB skimmer, the intake tube pulls from below the surface, right?? Am I missing something?

Carlton'sTank

You can run an HOB skimmer and use one of your powerheads to create surface agitation. That helps break it up. I would be interested to hear any other methods.

I used to use a DIY surface skimmer on my AC 70.

2.11.07.AC70.surface.skimmer.p.jpg

Fosi beat me to it! DR. F&S sells hob filtetrs that come with surface skimmers already.

Thanks. :)

It's cheap too.

1 - 3/4" Tee

1 - 3/4" 90 elbow

1 - 3/4" Coupling

2 - small bits of 3/4 pipe to tie the pieces together.

Change the height of the vertical pipe piece to your water level. No need to glue them, just dry fit and you can take it apart to clean it.

I used to use a DIY surface skimmer on my AC 70.

I like the mod...What size PVC did you use and what did you use to cut it with? Did you have good results using it? Would the AC 70 create too much flow for a 20g? I currently have 2 K nano's for flow.

Would the AC 70 create too much flow for a 20g? I currently have 2 K nano's for flow.

No way would that be to much! On my ap24 I run an mj900 and 2 k2's and I still could use more. Although my tank is BB and 75% SPS so the flow is needed.

See above for sizes.

The only cuts you need to make are what it takes to get the couple bits of pipe, which any saw can do, and for the teeth. I used a dremel for the teeth but you could easily use a vise, a longer piece of pipe and a saw to cut the vertical bits and knock them out with a hammer/screwdriver combo.

I used two AC70's on my 20L. Koralias will give you a better flow pattern but they won't skim the surface.

I made that thing because I was really sick of the oily protien film on my water and I didn't have a skimmer. It cleared the film up within a couple hourse of use and kept it clear for the life of the tank.

See above for sizes.

The only cuts you need to make are what it takes to get the couple bits of pipe, which any saw can do, and for the teeth. I used a dremel for the teeth but you could easily use a vise, a longer piece of pipe and a saw to cut the vertical bits and knock them out with a hammer/screwdriver combo.

I used two AC70's on my 20L. Koralias will give you a better flow pattern but they won't skim the surface.

I made that thing because I was really sick of the oily protien film on my water and I didn't have a skimmer. It cleared the film up within a couple hourse of use and kept it clear for the life of the tank.

Thanks for the help!

Archived