Coral Vue Hydros

Too much light?

cf21

Can too much light cause euphyllia to not get puffy? I have three frogspawns in my tank and not one has the puffy tentacles like others I see on here. I have had them since last september and they always have stringy looking polyps.

Alk: 10

Cal: 430

A,N,N: 0

I have an mp10 which moves the polyps gently. My media is filter floss and chemi-pure elite. My light is an AqaustyleOnline 24 led kit. I do a 4g water change every Friday.

My zoas, gsp, monti cap, duncan, and candy cane coral are all growing.

Any suggestions? I am running out of ideas; I've tried everything I can think of. Seriously, ANYTHING will be appreciated.

100% sure they aren't torches. I have three frogspawns and a hammer. They were puffy when I bought them, but two days in my tank and they all went downhill.

I cant get decent pictures with my leds, sorry. I just dont have a camera that can handle them.

Are your LED's dimmable or are you running 100%. Also, did you acclamate them correctly? Sometimes corals will struggle under LED for the first time unless you can lower the power run them at 20-30% for a couple days and then slowly move the % up

Yes, Euphyllia does not necessarily enjoy direct high lighting. I always have to shade mine partially to keep them happy. Also, they DO NOT appreciate high or even moderately high flow. They will open much bigger in gentle flow.

Are your LED's dimmable or are you running 100%. Also, did you acclamate them correctly? Sometimes corals will struggle under LED for the first time unless you can lower the power run them at 20-30% for a couple days and then slowly move the % up

I did acclamate them, but maybe not slow enough? My blues are at 100% and whites are about 75% with no optics on the leds.

Yes, Euphyllia does not necessarily enjoy direct high lighting. I always have to shade mine partially to keep them happy. Also, they DO NOT appreciate high or even moderately high flow. They will open much bigger in gentle flow.

They are in very gentle flow. Each head is completely open, but the tenticles just aren't puffy--if that makes sense. They are getting direct lighting though. Maybe I should dim the leds a bit?

I would definitely dim it, but you might also consider the addition of amino/fatty acids. My lps and softies really respond to that well. I know exactly what you mean by skinny tentacles though. Open, but not puffy.

I would definitely dim it, but you might also consider the addition of amino/fatty acids. My lps and softies really respond to that well. I know exactly what you mean by skinny tentacles though. Open, but not puffy.

This is assuming of course all other parameters are in check. I don't want to be the guy to tell you that the answer lies in a bottle. It usually never does but I find the addition of a little Fuel or similar product, seems to "fatten" the tissues of softer corals.

I've been struggling with a similar issues. You may want to read some of this thread

Thanks, some good info in there. I raised my light earlier today to 26" off my sand bed, so I'll see if that helps any.

This is assuming of course all other parameters are in check. I don't want to be the guy to tell you that the answer lies in a bottle. It usually never does but I find the addition of a little Fuel or similar product, seems to "fatten" the tissues of softer corals.

All of my parameters are good; I check nitrate, calcium, alk, mag weekly.

I always just feed pellets to the fish, but never spot feed my corals. You may be onto something. What is a popular food... oyster feast, rods? What kind of feeding regimen should I go for?

I like to feed my Hammers a little mysis directly as well as my Acans, Duncans and larger polyps every so often. Try spot feeding one and not the other for a month...see the difference fer yourself.

• 1 year later...
sandcruiser

I'm having similar reaction from my frogspawn

it was huge and happy and extended and fleshy for many months (2 years?) then I switched to LEDs and added some flow to the tank.

now the frogspawn is more colorful, but the heads are barely extended and some are actually looking like they may die

I've removed one LED from the system (that was right over the coral) and I'm probably going to move the coral onto the sandbed to get further from the leds

might also raise the LEDs

it doesn't help that my 3 sexy shrimp don't get fed very often (I travel, a lot) so they are also picking at polyps on various corals.

did you try lessening your light? did it help?

my frogspawn responded extremely well to the switch to LED.. puffs up so much more now than it ever did under t5.. good healthy growth, always inflated and happy.. I have lost a bit of color in it though, but I'm not sure if I am actually LOSING color or if it just looks that way because it's so inflated (like a balloon becoming more transparent as it inflates)..

and FWIW, I have an MP10 in my 15g and the froggie was happy with it cranked up to like 50%+ power.. IME, euphyllia will adjust to higher flow, in fact mine always inflated more (maybe to be a little more stiff to fight the current, idk..).. I did turn it down though as it was irritating my long tentacle plate..

• 5 weeks later...

Archived