inTank Media Baskets

AI nano in Nano Cube 28 help!

Jmreact

I would never go over 75%. Even though the PAR numbers may be good...LED's are a different type of beast than Halide/T5. PAR numbers don't matter AS much. 75% will be more than enough to support a full mixed reef int hat size tank. But start at 30%....get to 75% after about 3-4 months. NO JOKE.

Thx guys...I'm just so worried about damaging my corals. I am running 30w/60b/60rb/ I heard the whites can cause bleaching not sure how true that is. I'm also using the arm hang kit it came with.

Thx guys...I'm just so worried about damaging my corals. I am running 30w/60b/60rb/ I heard the whites can cause bleaching not sure how true that is. I'm also using the arm hang kit it came with.

Picture? We need to see how high above your tank this is hung. If you just recently put this up...30/60/60 will fry your corals. You won't see any difference for about 3-6 weeks and then BAM...parameters off, coral dying....bye bye money.

If you just recently put this up, put the whites around 20 and both blues around 30-35. Keep it there for at least 2-3 weeks to help what damage may already have been caused...to heal!

Unfortunately I cannot add much value to this thread. I'm having a hell of time with my Nano over my BC29. I've lost hundreds of dollars in SPS corals In January. The most concerning thing is I dont know why, but I do know what changed, the lights. It also doesn't add up that the light change would cause the coral loss.... Another story....

I've been all over the spectrum of intensity. Started with 90% max for 7 hours. Things started to go bad, did some research and tuned them down to 30% max for 7 hours. Other bad things started to happen after that adjustment to the lower setting and bleaching/RTN continued. Now I'm at the levels below but still my corals are stretching for light. Nothing is laid flat and open as they used to be.

So, I've accepted the coral loss and just going to hope to ride this mess out. I've been tempted to put the T-5's back on and call it a day, but I do really like the colors and rich feature set that the AI Nano has to offer over T-5's.

Screenshot2012-02-01at71656AM.png

Your lighting is way too high. 90% max for 7 hours straight RIGHT when you put the Nano over your tank would literally kill a majority of your coral / bleach it to the point where it would take roughly 4-6 months to repair. As of right now, you are at 75% for 3 hours (based on your chart) which is STILL too high for corals that are recently damaged. You need to keep your lights at around 35% max for at least a month to give them time to heal....and gradually increase to where you are hitting a 75% max in about 4-6 months. Even though you may have turned it down after you noticed bad things were happening, they will continue to happen because the damage was already done. Bleaching your corals like this will release tons of "chemicals" from the coral into the water as well, causing other issues...making this a long recovery process.

LED's are much more powerful than T5HO and your case is the classic case of someone new to LED's or someone ill-experienced in them.

Your lighting is way too high. 90% max for 7 hours straight RIGHT when you put the Nano over your tank would literally kill a majority of your coral / bleach it to the point where it would take roughly 4-6 months to repair. As of right now, you are at 75% for 3 hours (based on your chart) which is STILL too high for corals that are recently damaged. You need to keep your lights at around 35% max for at least a month to give them time to heal....and gradually increase to where you are hitting a 75% max in about 4-6 months. Even though you may have turned it down after you noticed bad things were happening, they will continue to happen because the damage was already done. Bleaching your corals like this will release tons of "chemicals" from the coral into the water as well, causing other issues...making this a long recovery process.

LED's are much more powerful than T5HO and your case is the classic case of someone new to LED's or someone ill-experienced in them.

Adam Thank for your input.

I've just moved to 75, 75, 75. I dialed the peak back to 50,50,50 based on your suggestion. I've been working on getting them brighter for about a month now. Starting with the 30% level. With some of my corals seemingly stretching for light and closed as if it was night, I was advised to turn it up. But maybe they're protecting their selves.... I just dont know....

I've already lost so much, what the hell..... Let it ride...

Adam Thank for your input.

I've just moved to 75, 75, 75. I dialed the peak back to 50,50,50 based on your suggestion. I've been working on getting them brighter for about a month now. Starting with the 30% level. With some of my corals seemingly stretching for light and closed as if it was night, I was advised to turn it up. But maybe they're protecting their selves.... I just dont know....

I've already lost so much, what the hell..... Let it ride...

This is what happens once you bleach corals and they try to heal. They will hyper-extend to get as much shade as possible, and sometimes close all together. LEDs will easily wipe your tank clean due to user error. I would put the LED's back even further. Your corals need to heal...aka....less light. 50% is still pretty powerful for that tank when coral is damaged.

This is what happens once you bleach corals and they try to heal. They will hyper-extend to get as much shade as possible, and sometimes close all together. LEDs will easily wipe your tank clean due to user error. I would put the LED's back even further. Your corals need to heal...aka....less light. 50% is still pretty powerful for that tank when coral is damaged.

Adam,

In above in bold is exactly how they are acting. To the lame-man (me) you'd think it's b/c too little light.

What do you think of this config? I'll set it a forget it for the entire month of Feb.

Screenshot2012-02-01at92204PM.png

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t429/J...ct/DSC02293.jpg

ok Adam here is my tank sorry it took so long. Give me you're thoughts

Hey buddy, thanks for the picture. It looks like your fixture is 6'' above the waterline, and that tank is around 20'' deep with a 2'' sandbed. If your corals were having a bad reaction to your 60/60....you definitely need to drop it to: 25/35/35 and I would keep it there for about 3 weeks to allow ample time for healing. The corals will likely not grow during this time, but they will be given ample time to heal. After 3-4 weeks, start increasing your intensity by 5% each week until you hit 70-75% in the blues for that size tank.

I have been using LED's for about 3 years now and have gone through trial and error, spectrometer and PAR meter testing, multiple sized tanks, different optics, no optics, DIY LED's...Ecoxotic LED's, AND AI Nano. With my experience over the years, the above statements are my best recommendations for best coral healing and growth.

Hope for the best!

• 1 year later...
ultimate sps only

you need some patience or youll never succeed think of all the money you could have saved starting the lights at 15-20% max and ramped up to 30-40% max over the course of 2-4 months you would have a bunch of amazing corals but we all seem to learn the hard way..btw i dont see why these lights should ever exceed 60% unless its all sps and you do it over the course of many months

Archived