ReefCleaners.org

Murdering pistols!

metrokat

I bought a pair of tiny striped pistols yesterday. The LFS did not know what they were except that yes they would pair with my Yasha, Sure, guaranteed. I posted a picture of them here to discover that it may be a bad shrimp to have. I've scoured the internet for as much info as I could get on it and am putting it all here for an easy google crawl.

I've only found ONE poster (Fallen Monkey) who says these guys are bad. Based on that I tore apart my tank a few hours ago looking for these guys, found one not the other and scared my Yasha so I can't find him either now. PM'd fallenmonkey, waiting to hear back.

Description:

Mine are very small so it is possible that their coloration will change as they mature. They are noticeably black and white striped like a zebra, the stripes are clear and straight with a blue tinge to it. The white parts are translucent. The claws/pincers are also translucent blue tinged. One large claw one small as typical in pistols.

My pic:

IMG_20110925_162358.jpg

If you have any information about these shrimp please post. Thank you.

Threads I found about it:

Better picture of the critter

Paired Shrimp:

People like them

Another picture, although not as stark in it's markings as the other pics:

pistol-shrimp.jpg

Another clear picture:

CoML_CReefs_snapping_shrimp.jpg

Only metta I hope. :blush:

Glad I could help...After reading wet web, they "probably" won't hurt anything. If you do intend to get another symbiotic shrimp for the yasha, you might as well get those out of there so there is no competition for burrow space.

Only metta I hope. :blush:

Glad I could help...After reading wet web, they "probably" won't hurt anything. If you do intend to get another symbiotic shrimp for the yasha, you might as well get those out of there so there is no competition for burrow space.

I caught one, no sign of the other. These guys are truly beautiful I hate to give them up, The alternative is to have it live in my 2.5G QT tank.

I caught one, no sign of the other. These guys are truly beautiful I hate to give them up, The alternative is to have it live in my 2.5G QT tank.

Don't understand exactly why you would want one? I have had my tank for 2 years now, and found out that I had one of these in my tank only a week ago. 2 years and I have only seen it once. Seems like a waste to me!

• 3 weeks later...

They snap now and then. Nothing to worry about. I've had mine for over2,5 years and have seen it maybe 20 times total. Has never killed anything besides small pods but that's okay with me. Skunk cleaner shrimp is much more predatory than these pistols

• 9 months later...

Archived