Pod Your Reef

can you show me a 20 long w/par38

Reefer High

Reefer High

Don't have too much time to search and dig, so I am asking if you guys know of any threads or post with a 20 long with only two par 38's. I have not had tank set up in 2 years and have the reef bug again. LED's were only starting when I moved and sold my tank. So I am not too familiar with them, but very interested.

doppelganger

it's really not that hard to do a search with 20L and par38...

anyways most ppl use 3 par38's as a 20L is 30 inches so you'll get very limited coverage with only 2 par bulbs. The set up would be essentially the same. Would work well if you had a dedicated rock islands or something that you're trying to highlight.

The only ones I know off hand are:

miniwhinny's

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=260489

Nebthet's

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=258107

justind823's

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=216840

Note that none of these use only 2 par lamps. There are more 15's and 10's that have 2 par lamps.

HTH

Reefer High

Thanks I know I can search, and find what I want but you have to dig through the junk. I am at work and need to do a little of it while I'm here.

Reefer High

I was hoping to get away with only two. I have seen a bunch of 12x12x12 cubes that seem to have good coverage with only one bulb. I thought I could strech it to cover a 15x12 area.

doppelganger

you can. Mind you, it all depends on what kind of optics you have in them, and how high off the tank you mount them. If you have like 80 deg optics, you can probably get decent coverage you'll just be lacking the PAR values. So it depends on what you want to keep as well.

danthenewreefman

honestly... 12x12 is streatching it with 40 optics.

look at my 15g

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...anthenewreefman

two par38 on a 12x24x12 tank. 40 optics from 12" off water are ideal coverage for like 10x10, perfect no spotlighting.

don't get me wrong, I love the 2 on my 15g....but no way jose on a 30" long tank.

maybe with 60 optics but you'll have spotlighting (major) and hardely ANY par in a lot of areas.

but it could look nice with the right scape.

welp....like your title says....heres a 20L w/par38........just one

its my bootleg 20L i upgraded from a 5.5 pico.

i only have this one bulb becuase i was supposed to get a 250W MH but the douchbag ownwer ended up screwing me over becuase he got banned(not my fault dbag) anyways i made a rock pile/island in the center of the tank

i think the bulb covers the pile exact lol

the bulb is an evils par38 12k w/60* optics

im ordering 2 of them cheap o par 38 with the remote controll and dimming abilities and what not...io can get em for dirt cheap:)

148pybl.jpg

its also bout 12" over the tank i think it gives off a pretty good spread

all the corls are happy and fully extended

Reefer High

That looks pretty good. I think I can get away with only 2. Only want to keep zoanthids and palys. Say I purchase the 20k 40 optics. Can I change them to a different optic or am I stuck with the 40's?

welp....like your title says....heres a 20L w/par38........just one

its my bootleg 20L i upgraded from a 5.5 pico.

i only have this one bulb becuase i was supposed to get a 250W MH but the douchbag ownwer ended up screwing me over becuase he got banned(not my fault dbag) anyways i made a rock pile/island in the center of the tank

i think the bulb covers the pile exact lol

the bulb is an evils par38 12k w/60* optics

im ordering 2 of them cheap o par 38 with the remote controll and dimming abilities and what not...io can get em for dirt cheap:)

148pybl.jpg

its also bout 12" over the tank i think it gives off a pretty good spread

all the corls are happy and fully extended

danthenewreefman

basically you're stuck

you can swap...but you'd lose warranty and it apparently takes a little skill to not break something.

you only want zoa/paly now...just wait... (evil laugh)

doppelganger

there's a few threads on here about changing optics but I don't have them off hand. It can be done yes. Depends how confident you are ;) IF you break something, it'll void the warranty. If you don't break it then you're fine.

Go with 2 and just mount them higher if you need more spread (that's if you don't want to switch optics). The good thing about par lamps is that u can always add another if you need.

Just an FYI, I'm not promoting which ones to buy cuz they're all great, but there are a few sponsors on here that sell par lamps as well and some offer different lens options if you worried about warranty.

Reefer High

Alright I have some research to do. I only see nano tuners offering them in the 40 optic version, so I guess I need to look around.

I know what you mean. I have been doing this for a long time, and every tank I have owned has been stuffed full of everything. Yet it was started as a simple zoanthid tank or strictly sps tank.

Archived