Pod Your Reef

A simple 20L

miniwhinny

FTS January 2011

123201120La.jpg

FTS March 2012

Finally 'scaped this thing that way I want it!

This poor tank has been on hold for too long. It's time to get it going!

3012012FTS.jpg

EQUIPMENT

20L Aqueon tank

Aquaclear 110 HOB (modded for filter floss, carbon and poly filters)

Stealth 100W heater.

1 Vortech MP10

1 AquaC Remora skimmer

LIGHTING

3 Rapid 7 LED PAR 38's, 1 A150w 15,000k Kessil

LIVESTOCK

CUC

Blue leg Hermit

Scarlet Hermit

White leg Hermit

Various snails (Ceriths, astreas, nerites, bumble bee, stomatellas)

2 ringed cowries

INVERTS

5 Maxi mini anemones

SOFTIES

Darth Maul Zoas

LPS

Acans

Duncans

NPS

Dendro

SPS

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all :D

I LOVE the PAR's. I've trimmed down on my tanks and now just have this one and a 20H. The 20H has a Sunpod 150HQI with a phoenix 14,000k 2 month old bulb (not adding stuff to it - it's home to my picassos and RBTA). The 3 PAR's (80 degree optics) FAR outlight the halide. It's also a brighter, crisper light. There's no heat...I really can't say enough about them...I LOVE them. Light of a million suns, shimmer, awesome colors...I'd never use anything else again but LEDs :)

Great start! I especially like the frags and rock mounted to the skimmer box...

Thanks...I'm going to add a bit more to it ...as I collect stuff.

123201120Lb.jpg

123201120Lc.jpg

123201120Ld.jpg

123201120Le.jpg

123201120Lf.jpg

123201120Lg.jpg

123201120Lh.jpg

Following along this thread to see how the par38's with 7-led 80 degrees do, compared to 5-led 60 degrees.

Very nice start so far.

Couple more pics. Wish I could capture the colors better.

123201120Lj.jpg

123201120Li.jpg

I had a horrible cycle...even the water was brown lol (hence no pictures lol)

Nice!

How high do you have your bulbs hanging off the water?

They are 5 inches...not sure if that's too close but everything seems happy.

Blue maxis!!!

I want one so badly! i cant find any around here =/

Got a powder blue one and a yellow one yesterday. I cut them in half before placing them. Today I was happy to wake up to 2 powder blues and 2 yellows lol. I'll take and post pics when the lights come on :D

Fantastic hardware selection. Really impressive so far. I love the rocks on the surface skimming box.

Just a heads up...be sure you can access the return because I had a tremendous amount of detritus in there. I dropped a rogue hermit in there but he somehow got out...through the sponge I guess.

Fantastic hardware selection. Really impressive so far. I love the rocks on the surface skimming box.

Just a heads up...be sure you can access the return because I had a tremendous amount of detritus in there. I dropped a rogue hermit in there but he somehow got out...through the sponge I guess.

Thanks for the compliments and heads up! My flow is moving everything out of the tank. The MP 10 moves all the detritus to the far left and the AC110 just "scoops" it all up. I'm getting into a weekly water change routine where I'm turkey basting the tank and filter and inside the skimmer and then an hour later changing the dirty filter floss and 5 gallons of water.

Tried to get a pic of my new blue and yellow maxi nem but I just can't capture the colors. Both the blues and yellows are a soft powdery color and my &^%$#( camera just isn't capturing it. Time for a new camera I guess.

126201120La.jpg

I want this coral, It looks stunning.

Wish I could get the colors right in my photo. It's silvery gray with green centers. It was twice this size but I split it and gave half to my son. He said his goby has taken up residence in it :)

i like your equipment choices, mimicks mine almost to the T

Thanks...going to check out your build :)

Looking great mini!! Your right very simple. I trying to tell my brother to set up his 29 with the same filter set up.

Also love the maxi's

Looking great mini!! Your right very simple. I trying to tell my brother to set up his 29 with the same filter set up.

Also love the maxi's

I know a lot of folks don't like BB tanks but I only do maintenance once a week and there isn't a grain of detritus on the tank bottom. The flow between the MP10 and the AC110 is in prefect sync so all I have to do is replace the filter floss once a week and everything is spotless. I am amazed though at the 1/2 cup of "tea" my remora is skimming out each week as the tank has no fish and isn't fed.

What are your stocking plans?

To be honest I don't have any. I'm literally going with "if I see it and I like it - I'll buy it"! Only thing I can't get are goby type fish because the maxi mins would end up dining on them. I do want some rics (florida and yuma) but other than that I don't have a stocking list. I think it will end up a mix of softies, LPS and inverts.

Few minis. Wish I knew how to balance the colors. There's a powder blue that's stunning IRL that looses it's brightness in my pics and the yellow IRL is daffodil yellow.

23201120Lb.jpg

23201120Lc.jpg

23201120Ld.jpg

23201120Le.jpg

Archived