Coral Vue Hydros

The Tunze Osmolator has failed me TWICE!

Mitch619

I just got mine yesterday and it keeps filling up the display tank till it reaches the safety switch! I already dipped the optical sensor in vinegar and my reservoir is under the tank, so I don't see what the problem is. I guess I'll have to return it! I hate shipping things off

I just got mine yesterday and it keeps filling up the display tank till it reaches the safety switch! I already dipped the optical sensor in vinegar and my reservoir is under the tank, so I don't see what the problem is. I guess I'll have to return it! I hate shipping things off

A little more info is needed on the actual setup. It will usually continue to fill for 10 secs once the water reaches the optical sensor. I had a problem that it would stop after it refilled then start again and fill to the floatswitch. The time that it started again varied and was due to a capacitor in the controller not being able to hold its charge. Hope this helps some.

A little more info is needed on the actual setup. It will usually continue to fill for 10 secs once the water reaches the optical sensor. I had a problem that it would stop after it refilled then start again and fill to the floatswitch. The time that it started again varied and was due to a capacitor in the controller not being able to hold its charge. Hope this helps some.

Yeah I have the same problem. It fills the water up to the optical sensor, and then about 1-3 minutes later, it fills the tank water up to the float switch. This keeps happenin over and over. I've already lowered my salinity due to this crap. It's hooked up to a solana 34g on the third chamber. In my stand I have a 2.5 gallon tank with the pump in it. I understood that as long as the RO container isn't above the DT, there won't be any problems.

Yeah I have the same problem. It fills the water up to the optical sensor, and then about 1-3 minutes later, it fills the tank water up to the float switch. This keeps happenin over and over. I've already lowered my salinity due to this crap. It's hooked up to a solana 34g on the third chamber. In my stand I have a 2.5 gallon tank with the pump in it. I understood that as long as the RO container isn't above the DT, there won't be any problems.

Then it sounds like the same problem I had. Contact the Tunze Rep (Roger -Tunze@sbcglobal.net) and let him know. This is what he said to me:

It sounds like the most likely problem is that the capacitor for the optic sensor is not holding a charge. If you send me the controller I will replace it with a new one. Our capacitor supplier switched from paper to plastic insulation and the plastic occasionally has some bleed of current. We have since switched to another supplier and back to paper, since you have tried everything else, I think this must be the cause.

You'll have to send your controller back to him at Tunze USA; 305 Victor St.;Austin, TX 78753. Mine has worked great ever since!

update: Just got off the phone with Tunze, they told me the osmolator shipped yesterday and I should be receiving it today. I'll update one last time with the results.

I don't know if I'm the unluckiest man in the world but this new unit seems to be doing the same thing! Not as much as the other one, but it keeps filling past the infrared sensor every once in a while. I turned the audible alarm off so I can get some sleep. I've been reading about a supposed "break-in" period for the sensor. This sounds ridiculous to me but I'll have to give it a try. Since the alarm is now off, I can rest and not worry about hearing an alarm at random times at night. I guess I'll let it be till friday. That's my cutoff date in which I'll be—WOW I CAN HEAR THE PUMP SWITCHING ON AS I WRITE THIS—exchanging this POS for a JBJ ATO. At this point I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of this product. My experience with this has been nothing but headaches....

Just checked my tank and just as I thought the water level is at the float switch. I will keep updating and will catch this on camera.

I don't know if I'm the unluckiest man in the world but this new unit seems to be doing the same thing! Not as much as the other one, but it keeps filling past the infrared sensor every once in a while. I turned the audible alarm off so I can get some sleep. I've been reading about a supposed "break-in" period for the sensor. This sounds ridiculous to me but I'll have to give it a try. Since the alarm is now off, I can rest and not worry about hearing an alarm at random times at night. I guess I'll let it be till friday. That's my cutoff date in which I'll be—WOW I CAN HEAR THE PUMP SWITCHING ON AS I WRITE THIS—exchanging this POS for a JBJ ATO. At this point I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of this product. My experience with this has been nothing but headaches....

Just checked my tank and just as I thought the water level is at the float switch. I will keep updating and will catch this on camera.

Mitch,

I got one last Friday, spent the week end pulling my hair out with the exact same problems you are experiencing. I took mine back to the LFS yesterday with photo's and a video on the phone showing the water level and the what was going on. My LFS got straight on to Tunze and they are sending a replacement. I should have the new one early next week.

One other thing, I was in touch with a guy on RC as he has the same setup as me and he advised inserting a supplemental tube into the fresh water return to restrict the flow as the Tunze is designed to pump for 10 seconds on an alert for low level. As here in Nano-reef we all run small tanks a 10 second run can be quite a lot of water. As my issue was the pump turning on even with the sensor submerged I went ahead and returned mine to the LFS. I will however give this method a try when I get my replacement.

40+

Ugh.

I guess we're talking about the new model with the round sensor holder.

I got an old one with the ugly ass plastic strip holders. It never ONCE did overfill.

You shouldn't run the unit with only the overflow switch working IMO.

Ugh.

I guess we're talking about the new model with the round sensor holder.

I got an old one with the ugly ass plastic strip holders. It never ONCE did overfill.

You shouldn't run the unit with only the overflow switch working IMO.

That would defy the purpose of a $200 dollar ATO. I've been tweaking it, and I haven't had it overfill in almost 24 hours. If it does keep messing up I will probably just get the floatswitch kit from digital aquatics.

Mitch,

I got one last Friday, spent the week end pulling my hair out with the exact same problems you are experiencing. I took mine back to the LFS yesterday with photo's and a video on the phone showing the water level and the what was going on. My LFS got straight on to Tunze and they are sending a replacement. I should have the new one early next week.

One other thing, I was in touch with a guy on RC as he has the same setup as me and he advised inserting a supplemental tube into the fresh water return to restrict the flow as the Tunze is designed to pump for 10 seconds on an alert for low level. As here in Nano-reef we all run small tanks a 10 second run can be quite a lot of water. As my issue was the pump turning on even with the sensor submerged I went ahead and returned mine to the LFS. I will however give this method a try when I get my replacement.

40+

I thought I was the only one having problems with this. I've been tweaking it and I haven't gotten an overfill! (fingers crossed). Update here when you get your new one. Good luck!

I like maddevil1's avatar. cracks me up.

My tunze osmolator doesn't do that. I just switched it to the magnetic holder right before I built this tank. So far so good.

I guess I'll change my avatar if it's insulting people. I'll change it on Monday though. I used to watch this movie a long time ago. BUFU

Whats BUFU?

Nevermind nanoreefsurf. He's on his period.

dont you belong in the lounge only? Do you even own a reef?

Whats BUFU?

dont you belong in the lounge only? Do you even own a reef?

It's part of the movie. you had to have to seen the movie to get it. They were making fun of FUBU the clothing brand of the 90's. It wasn't an insult..

Just want to update the original issue.

I got my replacement, installed AOK and no alarm. It did however activiate late on Saturday evening and more RO than was needed was pumped. This was not a problem as the pump did switch off prior to the high level being reached.

I cut the tip (5mm) off a 1ml syringe (No needle) and inserted it into the return pipe to restrict the flow.

So far so good.

One thing I did notice on the replacement unit, the IR sensor was easier to fit into the mag holder than the original IR sensor.

Archived