inTank Media Baskets

The Tunze Osmolator has failed me TWICE!

Mitch619

Guy, change that avatar. Its obnoxious and I dont think the rest of the community appreciates looking at it, imo.

Jesus was just the "Jim Bakker" of his time, the smart people know this... Whats the big deal?

explain plz...

EDIT: My Tunze needed a lil fine tuning when I installed it...

Havent had a problem in a year fingerscrossed

Ok guys, so there seems to be a problem when using the dual sensor magnet holder in nano tanks. Word of advise, if your using this product in a nano tank, then you should use the dual holders so you can space the float switch a little higher. What happens is the pump is a little too strong, and considering our water volume, it tends to over-fill a little. At least this has been the case with me and a fellow nano-reefer. In regards to the first problem I had with it, that was a malfunction, and it was a defective unit.

So remember to try out using both magnet holders if your current single magnet setup is triggering the alarm.

This will save you a lot of headaches...

Guy, change that avatar. Its obnoxious and I dont think the rest of the community appreciates looking at it, imo.

Go back and hide in your little censored hole, if you have a problem with a simple avatar. I hate people like you. :angry:

• 2 months later...

For a bump to an old thread - Anyone else have issues with the unit? I'm about to set this guy up on my nano... It'd only be topping off 1/2 liter or so a day. Can someone post pics of their set up? Mitch - Maybe you can post since you seem to have figured out the issue :)

TIA!

I'm having the same problem with both the newer and older versions. It works absolutely fine until I top up my reservoirs to the max and the overflow happens the following day. I'm not sure if it is related? Both reservoirs are covered (one is a custom build glass tank with a lid, the other is a plastic container with a screw cap, both are not air-tight sealed). I will leave one of them un-covered and see if the problems arises again.

• 4 weeks later...

likewise... i heard so many 'bad' things with the jbj ATO i figured id go with the tunze.. but now i have no idea.. im goin on vacation and need an ato!

Just saw this resurrected thread. To clarify, yes, it is working now. My fist one was defective. Since, I've gotten my replacement, it's been nothing but smooth sailing. And to tell you the truth, I consider my Osmolator the most important piece of equipment I have. It keeps the salinity stable, and it helps my Tunze 9002 skim like a pro. I'd definitely recommend this ATO.

I picked up mine used around 2 months ago. It came with the old sensor and float switch holder. I ordered the magnet from Tunze. Over the past 2 months, it has only acted up 1 or 2 times. Other than that, I absolutely love this thing. Definitely worth the investment.

I've had no problems since I got the replacement unit, in fact I added the calcium dispenser to supplement calcium via Kalkwasser and couldn't be happier. SG is solid and so too is CA.

HecticDialectics

I had one awhile back that was bulletproof and sold it. I have a brand new one sitting in a box waiting for my rock to cycle. Imma be totally p.o.'d if I have to send it back and get it fixed :lol:

At the same time, mega-props to Tunze's customer service. The fact that you can just send them stuff and they fix it for free and send it back is crazy.

Why don't you put it through some reliability test over a period of time? Set 2 buckets of freshwater just to test the sensor. You don't mess up your tank's salinity, and can get a replacement sooner if you need it.

Why did I read this thread! Yesterday mine started acting up overfilling the 3rd chamber by inches causing the loud alarm to go off.

Mine kept overflowing right out of the box, tripping the float sensor, then turning off (with that loud ass alarm going).

I unplugged the power, let some water evaporate from the system for a few days... plugged it back in- and it was fine ever since.

HecticDialectics
this is all soooo weirrd.. .lol.. i think im still going to buy it...

ya you gotta keep in mind this is just a handful of the thousands and thousands of tunze atos out there. Most work fine. If it doesn't, Tunze has your back.

Why did I read this thread! Yesterday mine started acting up overfilling the 3rd chamber by inches causing the loud alarm to go off.

Do you have it setup with both magnetic holders? Also are there any bubbles in that chamber? And lastly you should dip it in vinegar for a few minutes. If all else fails call tunze.

doppelganger
this is all soooo weirrd.. .lol.. i think im still going to buy it...

I would still recommend it. I've never had a problem with mine *knock on wood*. even after I started a little electrical fire and pretty much melted the power supply. Just soldered a new one on and it still works like a charm. It's definitely one of the best purchases I've made and makes life sooo much easier.

If your really worried about it failing, make sure you take the time to clean it every so often and check the fail safe float switch. Also try not to keep your reservoir so high. That way if everything fails, you can only add so much water in. Sure you'll have to fill the reservoir more often but... you get a little piece of mind that way. Or... set a timer to only let it turn on once or twice for like a minute a day? never tried it but... just throwing ideas out there.

Do you have it setup with both magnetic holders? Also are there any bubbles in that chamber? And lastly you should dip it in vinegar for a few minutes. If all else fails call tunze.

I am using the magnet holder. It has not acted up since then. I am going to give it a good cleaning this weekend when I install my media basket and swap out my return pump. I emailed tunze to ask them how much it would cost to replace the sensor and float valve. As I assumed, it would cost almost as much as replacing the entire controller.

Mitch,

Mine doesn't hit the secondary, but the pretty much buries the optical sensor. I've thought that this was very odd, and I think I should call Roger and talk to him about it.

I'm using the single magnet. If I split it out, what do you think I should do? Optical in chamber 2 and Float in Chamber 3?

Also, why the hell does the tunze always turn on when you plug it in? I shut off all my pumps when I feed, which means I have to unplug the tunze first, plug it back in, then turn on the pumps.

Mitch,

Mine doesn't hit the secondary, but the pretty much buries the optical sensor. I've thought that this was very odd, and I think I should call Roger and talk to him about it.

I'm using the single magnet. If I split it out, what do you think I should do? Optical in chamber 2 and Float in Chamber 3?

Also, why the hell does the tunze always turn on when you plug it in? I shut off all my pumps when I feed, which means I have to unplug the tunze first, plug it back in, then turn on the pumps.

The pump has a minimum "on" time which explains the water covering the sensor. Mine gets covered too. I just learned up to where it goes and I adjusted the skimmer to match that. Also, I have both magnets in the same chamber. I have both sensors in chamber 3 with the return hose facing chamber 2. I just put the other magnet right above and slightly to the right of the optical one. And yes it's really annoying how the pump turns on every time I restart the device. I figured a way around this though... If you have a RKL, then you can program only certain pumps to go off when you put it on standby mode. I programed it to turn off only my return and vortech. But as you know, the alrm will go off after turning the return pump off, so I turned the sound off. And when doing a water change I actually do turn the osmo off and before I turn it back on I make sure there is a small gap in the water level just enough for it to fill. I've never contacted tunze about the optical sensor being submerged, but you can try? I'm sure Roger will explain better.

i just read this in the online manual for the osmolator

"Caution ! The water has to be able to rise to at

least 25 mm (.98 in.) above the normal water

level as otherwise the safety shut-down is not

guaranteed"

So I need an inch clearance for this safety feature to work properly? therefore do not get for nano tanks?

• 3 weeks later...

just got my tunze installed and ready to go.. got real impatient and didn't want to sit around, so started emptying water until the sensor would read.. it fills up for 10 seconds, and then stops... before the emerg float can do anything.. did that like 4 times (lol) and seems like we're good to go! Now im just tryin to figure out the 'sweet' spot salinity wise... a bit beefy -- and i needed to clear 1-1.5" from the top of the tank to the sensor.. but... so far so good!

Archived