SaltCritters.com

Killing Red Bugs and AEFW with Revive

scottyreef

scottyreef

Well I this morning i found that i have a couple red bugs on on of my arco's and i went into immediate Action but i realize that all my interector ( the most common way of killing red bugs) was gone. I was told that if you dip your acro's in "revive" for ten min's it will take care of them and you know what it did i was really suprized. So crusing the old intraweb for other people who have done this and i came across this thread on RC for the maker of "Revive"

Have you considered dipping the affected corals in ReVive Coral Cleaner?

For giant aquariums with giant coral colonies it may not be feasible to remove entire colonies of Acropora, but for most home aquariums this is a much simpler solution compared to treating the whole tank with Interceptor. There is a misconception regarding Red Bugs that they are all over the tank. In fact they are isolated on the Acropora colonies, and usually only on certain species, while they may be absent on others. If you make a seawater bath with ReVive according to the directions, and dip colonies of Acropora for between 10 and 15 minutes, the Red Bugs will fall off and die, and the colonies can be returned to the display aquarium. This treatment is also effective against Acropora Eating Flatworms (AEFW) (including their eggs).

Some recommendations: Use water taken from the display aquarium to make the bath, to minimize the stress on the corals. The corals should be completely submerged, so use sufficient water for that purpose. The water in the bath should be circulating- a small powerhead can be used for this purpose (be careful about water and electricity of course). Also be careful not to blast the corals with too strong a flow from the powerhead!

If your Acropora colonies have commensal crabs, they will jump off when the coral is dipped in ReVive. Quickly remove the crabs from the bath and put them in clean seawater. They will recover as long as they are not left in the ReVive bath for more than a couple of minutes. The crabs do not host Red Bugs, though it is a good idea to rinse them carefully to be sure that no Red Bugs are clinging to their legs.

While the instructions on the bottle of ReVive recommend only a few minutes for the dip, it is necessary to use a dip of at least 10 minutes duration to be sure to kill the Red Bugs and AEFW.

I have been able to eliminate these pests from display aquariums by simply dipping the affected coral colonies.

It is not necessary to dip all corals from the tank--- only the affected Acropora spp. need to be dipped.

I developed ReVive Coral Cleaner and it is a product of my company, Two Little Fishies, Inc.

Sincerely,

Julian Sprung

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1632731

Scott

I'll definitely remember this if RBs decide to raid my tank again in the future. Wish I would have used this method in the past, before accidentally OD'ing my entire tank w/ Interceptor. More out of frustration, than by accident! Let me know if it works for you, Scotty.

scottyreef

No problem i am glad to help it came from a piece i got from my little brother....douce J/K. Anyway Purpleup i didnt know that you were in the sacramento area we should meet up and trade some stuff. well the stuff that doesnt have redbugs LOL

No problem i am glad to help it came from a piece i got from my little brother....douce J/K. Anyway Purpleup i didnt know that you were in the sacramento area we should meet up and trade some stuff. well the stuff that doesnt have redbugs LOL

Sure. Send me a PM whenever you want to meet up. I'm in EDH.

too bad the only colony i have with redbugs is encrusted on the center foundation piece of my aquascape >:(

45 second FW dips work wonderfully for killing both red bugs and AEFW, as well.

scottyreef

I am up in Roseville next to the mall

I am wery of using a FW dip on sps becuse it can play havioc on there slime coating but to each there own i just had a bad experince with both freshwater dips on sps on iodine dips too they either RTN or STN on me

scottyreef

yeap quite a bit almost half of my stuff comes from him alone he's one of the best seller around

Ive posted about this a couple times and people seemed to ignore me. Revive WILL kill red bugs and aefw. I used it to kill my red buy problem.

scottyreef

Yeah I have posted similar help in threads and they seem to go the same way sometimes. Either way the dip worked great its been a couple days and no red bugs tommarrow i will post before and after pics seeing that my lights are off right now

Here are the before and after pics

Before notice the little redish dots

IMG_2408.jpg

After (ain't no bugs on me) the coral has a little color loss but it think it will come back

IMG_2445.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this info. For once a forum search helped :haha: ! Do you have to redip? I just did an iodine dip and after 24 hours there are still bugs. The instructions for the iodine say to redip in 2 weeks. I would rather use something that works good the first time and gets the eggs too. I just done want to use the heartworm crap in my tank because I have too many uncatchable creatures and that would amonia spike my system too bad.

Thanks! I guess by the time the stuff gets here I can go ahead and dip them right? I just want to make sure I wait long enough between the iodine dip and the Revive.

18 hours after dipping and no red bugs at all. Thats alot better than the iodine dip I did almost 2 weeks ago. After the iodine dip I had several red bugs left and they never went away. Now I have no red bugs! WOOHOO! Thanks scottyreef!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an insane amount of red bugs (they are flat worms right? sorry if i don't understand the distinction) , they are on the glass, rocks, in the 'fuge, seriously everywhere. Is it possible to treat this? I'm going to be setting up a tank with a under tank 'fuge/sump but it might not happen for a few months... None of my acros have yet been ravaged, right now they aren't anything but obnoxious, what can i do right now that wont bother my corals or cuc? should i wait to set up the new tank and just use flatworm exit?

nope red bugs are parasitic copepod

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_acro_bug

Clytemnestra_scutellata.jpg

Dioithona.jpg

nah they sound like plain old flatworm just wait and treat with flat worm exit or just them them alone. i have found that they are harmless in smaller number but in large number death can cause a sort of toxic environment that could harm your overall tank

Had a redbug issue with a new acro I got. Dipped in iodine the first time and it didn't get all the little buggers. Got some revive, dipped again- no more redbugs. Now I dip everything in revive before I put it in the tank, even if it looks healthy and parasite free.

Glad scotty made this post.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for bumping the old thread Dave. I read this and ordered the revive when I got to the end. Worst case is it doesn't kill the rb but I end up with a new coral dip so its worth a shot.

Thanks for bumping the old thread Dave. I read this and ordered the revive when I got to the end. Worst case is it doesn't kill the rb but I end up with a new coral dip so its worth a shot.

how crazy is that, i was just looking for info on dipping corals for redbugs and voila, this thread was recently revived (excuse the pun). lol

i have a nice colony of strawberry shortcake that is covered in RBs. imma dip today!

and you are right, at the least, ull have a nice dipping product. i love revive and use it all the time. i had a huge flatworm problem and dipped EVERYTHING before putting it in my new tank and my tank is flatworm freeeeeeee!

Archived