Cultivated Reef

My New 20 Gallon Long

malibumike

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that i've really enjoyed reading about your tanks and seeing some pretty amazing pictures as well. I've recently downsized from a 37 gallon to this 20L. After having the 37 for 2 years the dimensions of the tank started to really become a hassle (it was toooo tall!). Anyway, I'm very happy with the switch and I'd like to turn this tank into a reef. I'd really like some suggestions on what kind of colorful easy care corals you would recommend. I'd really like soft coral recommendations as I would like to see them sway in the current. Here is a list of equip i'm running:

20L - 30x12x12

BLACK PINE STAND

2 MAXI-JET 1200'S

MARINELAND BIO-WHEEL 200

30" LUNAR AQUALIGHT - 65WATT 10K, 65WATT ACTINIC, 2 MOON LEDS

30? LBS OF LIVE ROCK

2 CLOWNS

4 MEXICAN TURBO SNAILS

1 VERY SMALL SIX LINE WRASSE

DSC00159.jpg

Colorful coral would be zoanthids, ricordea, mushrooms, palythoas, gsp, and tons of others. As far as swaying coral, frogspawn or xenia sway. 20 Longs are excellent tanks. Welcome to NR

I like the rockwork! Is it stable?

Colorful coral would be zoanthids, ricordea, mushrooms, palythoas, gsp, and tons of others. As far as swaying coral, frogspawn or xenia sway. 20 Longs are excellent tanks. Welcome to NR

I like the rockwork! Is it stable?

Thanks for those recommendations, I do really like pulsing xenia, Been looking for blue but it's kinda pricy...

Yup the rockwork is very stable, doesn't touch sides either. My 3 fish seem to like all of the passthroughs a lot

To post pics from photobucket, copy and paste the code. ;)

haha, yeah I think I got it now. Do you know how many total mb's you can post on photobucket?

:welcome: to nano-reef.com

Amazing rocks!

For colorful and easy corals, zoanthids and mushrooms are some of the best. However, I suggest upgrading your lights to either T5s or MH to get the most color, especially for the zoas that prefer high light.

The LR is mostly Figi, came out of my previous tank that was running for 2yr so it does have a lot of beautiful coraline. I am very lucky to be within 2 miles of 2 great fish stores one of which specializes in saltwater. I get to hand pick stuff aposed to having it shipped.

I'm actually not in malibu CA, wish I were though b/c it's been a long winter so far in NY. My first car was a 1980 malibu, that's where the name comes from...

Thanks for all the compliments, you're all very nice!

Could someone tell me how fast xenia grow? From what i've read it's like a weed rt? Also, Does all xenia pulse or is there only one type that does?

Xenia grows fairly fast depending on the tank, Im sure it would take off in ur tank. There is pulsing xenia and other types as well.

I LOVE your aquascape, very cool looking!

Might have to steal some ideas from it for my own 20L that I recently set up.

I have some Blue Xenia, and I plan on fragging it soon. I'm hoping to have frags availabe for sale in a month or two.

GrandpaFeathers
I LOVE your aquascape, very cool looking!

Might have to steal some ideas from it for my own 20L that I recently set up.

I have some Blue Xenia, and I plan on fragging it soon. I'm hoping to have frags availabe for sale in a month or two.

How much weetie?

DSC00151.jpg

Does anyone have suggestions for how many snails I should use for this tank? I have 4 turbos rt now but would like to get 3-4 smaller astreas and a 3-4 nassarius snails, Is that too many? Also, I want any that I purchase to be reef safe.

Archived