Innovative Marine Aquariums

BEWARE the "hawaiian strawberry crab"!

mrjoshua82

Hola again,

I purchased a strawberry crab from saltwaterfish.com.....will never use them again. Cute pink crab that is said to be reef safe is absolutely NOT! 1st my cleaner shrimp, who I loved and would take food out of my hand was found dead and half eaten, 2nd I found 3 hermits dead and pulled out of their shells also eaten, and finally...which was the final straw....I woke up this morning and found my McCosker's wrasse with a claw size chunk missing from just behind its head! Why blame the crab you ask? The crab still had it in its grasp and was eating it tail first. Luckily I saw it before the wrasse was dead but it may still have too much damage to live. We will see.

Let me tell you catching a crab is not easy!!!! I had to take the piece of live rock that it lived in out of the tank and flush it out with hot water. This piece of live rock has many corals on it and I am lucky that not of them were too pissed off.

I've learned my lesson....only hermits, never trust a crab!!!! Say a prayer for my wrasse

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I agree about crabs, though some would argue that even hermits are suspect, though I have many of them.

I know you didn't ask about remedies for your wrasse, but I had a coral beauty angelfish that you could see it's backbone thorough a hole in its side. I used Melafix on it while it was still in the display. It didn't kill anything else and 5 years later the coral beauty doesn't even have a scar. Not to say the melafix didn't disturb anything else. It was worth dosing in the tank just to see and hear the tomato clownfish freaking out. I didn't even know they could click their teeth so loud!

Good luck Mr. Wrasse!

I have 2 perculas that are quite happy so I don't want to upset them. I think the wrasse will pull through...hopefully. When I took out the live rock to flush out the crab the wrasse scampered away so I think thats a good sign. Mean chunk taken out though....he was very happy before so hopefully without the stress of the crab he will recover.

djchristone

read

btw, just a quick update. i talked to my old roommate and nothing has survived from all that we ordered. literally everything died within a few days -____-

enough! This isn't a place for ridicule, it's a place for questions, answers, and information. I posted 1 time in 3 different areas....it was an informative post....not a question! I just hope that others that are considering purchasing this creature will refrain. You have way too much time on your hands obviously. Find a better thread to argue with please.

Kellie in CA

It sucks when that happens. About 3 months ago I was given a green brittle star under the advice that is was "ABSOLUTELY REEF SAFE". Well, it turns out that it is reef safe, but apparently can eat small fish. I tried for weeks to pry him out of my tank by any means necessary, it literally drove me crazy. But, he would hide in various caves in my rocks. One day, I just gave up.

Luckily, I haven't had any problems, yet. I have actually grown to like him...but I do not look forward to the day that one of my fish go missing. So I ALWAYS remember to feed him.

enough! This isn't a place for ridicule, it's a place for questions, answers, and information. I posted 1 time in 3 different areas....it was an informative post....not a question! I just hope that others that are considering purchasing this creature will refrain. You have way too much time on your hands obviously. Find a better thread to argue with please.

I'm not arguing and you're the one who started name calling..... I simply asked a question. :huh:

Here's a silly question, why did you find it necessary to post this three times as Lalani said? If someone is contemplating ordering a Hawaiian strawberry crab and searches for it on the forums, they don't really need to see your experience with them three times. Just my .02.

Just felt passionate about it. NOT going to post at nano-reef.com anymore. good luck to all and thank you to everyone that gave me good advice/information. Too much nonsense here. Take care

Just felt passionate about it. NOT going to post at nano-reef.com anymore. good luck to all and thank you to everyone that gave me good advice/information. Too much nonsense here. Take care

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Darn it, I hate trying to be nice and constructive to people and they turn out to be jerks. Hopefully he'll keep his promise and not come back. Twits like that tend to be like hemorroids though, they just keep being pains in the a**.

lakshwadeep
dude must be like 11 years old....I'd bet $$$ on it.

Worse: He was born in 1982. Maybe he still wants to be 11...

Archived