inTank Media Baskets

BEWARE the "hawaiian strawberry crab"!

mrjoshua82

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lakshwadeep
Wait come back, we're not finished with you lol.

:haha: Yes, make a thread on our customer service/support! Please! We value your feedback.

Ok. Back on topic just a bit. Not that this isn't hilarious, biatches.

I think the term "reef safe" needs to be explored. I think too many people take it to mean that a creature is safe in a community tank or with other typical reef inverts and fish. I have always taken it to mean that a creature will not eat or bother corals. The corals are what makes a tank a "reef" instead of just a saltwater community tank. A hawkfish is reef safe, in that it will not kill coral, but it will definitely munch on your inverts.

Just a thought.

Yeah, they say sexy shrimp are reef safe, but if they aren't kept well fed, they have no problems munching down on zoas.

Biatchs.... :happy:

TheCuban1040

I recently got into this "reef safe" discussion with someone about a Niger Trigger. I think "reef safe" should mean that it is safe to keep it in a reef. I don't know too many reefs that don't have some snails/crabs/shrimp in them. To be reef safe it should be safe to keep it with all this stuff, right? Otherwise it would just be called "coral safe".

I recently got into this "reef safe" discussion with someone about a Niger Trigger. I think "reef safe" should mean that it is safe to keep it in a reef. I don't know too many reefs that don't have some snails/crabs/shrimp in them. To be reef safe it should be safe to keep it with all this stuff, right? Otherwise it would just be called "coral safe".

file_432.jpg

lakshwadeep

I agree with lulaface.

As for the crab, all I have to say is this: Many crabs are omnivores and are less of a threat to corals and other inverts/fish in the wild. When you add a crab to a nano-reef, such as an emerald (Mithrax) for algae, it soon will realize that there are larger and "easier" prey that can't escape. It gets worse when predatory behavior comes from certain individuals and not consistent in the species.

Once again, do not use what an online seller's descriptions of their livestock as the only source of information. While there are usually good facts, too often there are half-truths or omissions (especially feeding or adult size info) that almost always increase the number of potential owners. If you really want to get an accurate online livestock description from a vendor, then I suggest using liveaquaria.com as your source since they seem to be very accurate and conservative on tank requirements.

BustytheSnowMaam

Will someone please explain to me how a hermit crab can catch a fish or a shrimp?

I think the answer is they were already dead. A hermit picking at a coral or killing another hermit- perhaps. But actually catching a live fish or shrimp and killing it? It must've sprouted a cape and become Superhermie. :rolleyes:

lakshwadeep
Will someone please explain to me how a hermit crab can catch a fish or a shrimp?

I think the answer is they were already dead. A hermit picking at a coral or killing another hermit- perhaps. But actually catching a live fish or shrimp and killing it? It must've sprouted a cape and become Superhermie. :rolleyes:

It's not a strawberry hermit crab. It is Neoliomera pubescens.

lets not start that conversation again! it will always be debated whether the crab killed the animal or just cleaned it up after it was deceased. i certainly believe that some crabs can and will kill perfectly live creatures, perhaps even small fish. however, i still keep hermit and emeralds, and have had no unexplained or shocking deaths or dismemberments. i think we just have to keep in mind that the food chain exists on a reef, and will also exist in a reef aquarium to certain extent. relax and do your best to pick compatible species.

hmmm....

caremeter.jpg

Ooooh saved for later use.

As far as whats "reef safe," its just another one of those stupid generalized rules that doesn't really apply anymore. There isn't one creature that we put in our tanks that is "reef safe." Clownfish can and will harass a coral till it dies. Gobies will bury corals in sand, hermits will walk all over anything and everything. You just have to do some research on a case by case basis, and by research I mean do more digging than reading what the vendors description of the animal is. And even after you've done all that research you need to accept the fact that when you take a critter out of the wild and shove it in a glass box, it can and will change its behavior to adapt. Just because emerald crabs don't eat corals in the wild does not mean that it won't realize that it can eat all kinds of stuff in your tank since its normal food supply is gone.

Ok. Back on topic just a bit. Not that this isn't hilarious, biatches.

I think the term "reef safe" needs to be explored. I think too many people take it to mean that a creature is safe in a community tank or with other typical reef inverts and fish. I have always taken it to mean that a creature will not eat or bother corals. The corals are what makes a tank a "reef" instead of just a saltwater community tank. A hawkfish is reef safe, in that it will not kill coral, but it will definitely munch on your inverts.

Just a thought.

I agree " Reef Safe" does not mean " Easy meal safe".

lets not start that conversation again! it will always be debated whether the crab killed the animal or just cleaned it up after it was deceased. i certainly believe that some crabs can and will kill perfectly live creatures, perhaps even small fish. however, i still keep hermit and emeralds, and have had no unexplained or shocking deaths or dismemberments. i think we just have to keep in mind that the food chain exists on a reef, and will also exist in a reef aquarium to certain extent. relax and do your best to pick compatible species.

I have one of these crabs and I have no problems with it. Large hermit crabs can eat fish. Emeralds can to. I had a Emerald that loved Zoas. I have a Coral banded shrimp in my 120g that takes chunks out of my torch from time to time. There are no rules it is nature and they all act different.

• 1 year later...
Darn it, I hate trying to be nice and constructive to people and they turn out to be jerks. Hopefully he'll keep his promise and not come back. Twits like that tend to be like hemorroids though, they just keep being pains in the a**.

dude must be like 11 years old....I'd bet $$ on it.

Worse: He was born in 1982. Maybe he still wants to be 11...

Wait come back, we're not finished with you lol.

Okay this is funny!

By the way I did see one at my LFS for $5,

and this female scar faced blenny dangit I want a male one with the scars.

• 1 month later...

LOL... I thought I'd drop in and tell all you fiesties out there... that I love my strawberry crab. He's peaceful and beautiful. Good boy crab... I won't eat you. How's that for constructive?

• 4 months later...

sorry to bring up old news, but i thought it would share my experience with everyone, since i did come across a similar predicament as the original poster.

i had just bought a mccosker's wrasse and he was doing good the first day in the tank. he then slept inside my marshall rock mountain with only his head showing. the next morning i saw my strawberry in the EXACT same hole as the wrasse, but the wrasse was gone. low and behold, the wrasse has a chunk missing from the back of it's head. the wrasse started doing loops and laying in the sand until it died later that day.

after this incident i googled strawberry crab and came to this to see that this dude's mccosker's had the same fate. a lot of my other inverts have been ripped apart limb by limb including hermits, ruby emerald, and a porcelain crab.

take this into mind before purchasing one. i would definitely say to proceed with caution. my buddy plays with mine in his hand and he is gentle, but who knows what he's up to at night. i'm thinking he's gonna get the boot real fast.

I have one that I bought from reefs2go I was expecting an inch size strawberry crab and they sent me a monster 3" crab :mellow:

It only comes out at night cruising the sides of the tank..I have been trying to catch it but no luck...so now when he is out (looking for food I assume) I throw in a piece of silverside or sinking shrimp wafers...he catches it and goes back to his spot and eats at leisure <_<

Archived