Pod Your Reef

Do-able, Yay or Nay?

Drez

the tank itself is very doable and you can easily keep a hermit in there. I am not familiar with the requirements of sea horses but I would expect that it would not be in the seahorses best interest to be in a 2g pico.

Actually, if I remember correctley (dont quote me on this), Dwarf Sea Horses actually do better in small tanks. There very small, so theres better chance of them finding food in a small tank. The problem is (when it comes to a reef tank/tank with LR) that there are several things that can harm the horses. Including a Hermit Crab. They wrap there tails around things, including stingy coral. Plus they generally only eat food you have to raise your self. I want to say sea monkeys because I can't remember the correct name...

Any way, if you want a sea horse, it will a)have to be of the dwarf variety, they do well in numbers, and b)be in a species only tank.

Then again, thats if I remember correctley.

Actually, if I remember correctley (dont quote me on this), Dwarf Sea Horses actually do better in small tanks. There very small, so theres better chance of them finding food in a small tank. The problem is (when it comes to a reef tank/tank with LR) that there are several things that can harm the horses. Including a Hermit Crab. They wrap there tails around things, including stingy coral. Plus they generally only eat food you have to raise your self. I want to say sea monkeys because I can't remember the correct name...

Any way, if you want a sea horse, it will a)have to be of the dwarf variety, they do well in numbers, and b)be in a species only tank.

Then again, thats if I remember correctley.

Part of what your saying is what sparked the idea. I've always thought seahorses were super neat but I knew they were slow so they ddint like much flow, other livestock that might out compete them for food and such. I assumed a hermit was safe but that might have been a wrongful assumption. The horse is the goal, teh hermit woudl only be of addtional interest and to help clean. If the little tank would work and i can find a tank bred dwarf I think that would be an amazing little view. As for stinging coral, I dont think I would put much more then softies in there anyway, and nothign until the stock lighting was changed. I think they like softies to grab onto anyway, like macroalgae. Speaking of which, it could even be used for food export then.

go to seahorsefarms.com(farms w/ an "s")

they got tank raised dwarf seahorses for sale w/ BRINE SHRIMP cultures included...cheap too!

i belive they will do better in a mostly mac algea tank b/c its where they live naturally, plus the mac will help support populations of copeopods and amphipods for them to eat on too!

the tank picked ,Eclipse Explorer II looks like a perfect lil picotope, however im not that familar w/ this one....

-what kind of light does it have??

if it takes incandesant bulbs your in the clear, just get some coralife 50/50 bulbs and screw em in,

however if it takes those lil skinny eclipse bulbs that wont be the spectrum and power you need to keep corals w/ your horses....mac will grow under cheap lights, but so will slime.....

i got a tom 3 gal picotope for 50 bucks and its ready to go for my seahorses, i plan on officially keeping/breeding them in a 5.5 AGA...mostly b/c my tom equipment should swap right over....heres a tiny pic of my tom tank next to my other rigs...

i think seawater has crack in it b/c i find myself spending alot of cash on ma tanks and i cant help it! i think i have a problem....does nano-reef have a rehab?

post-22467-1161084990_thumb.jpg

Please go to searhorse.org before you do anything; they don't have that much on dwarfs but its a good place to start.

Next check out "The Complete guide to Dwarf Seahorses in the Aquarium" by Alisa Abbott

The most common recomedations for dwarfs are a species only tank less than 5 gal, very low water movement and macro or artificial plants for hitches, very small hermits and snail CUC. Lighting need only support the macro, if used.

DementedLullaby

The best dwarf tank is a lowflow tank with regular argonite sand and fake plants. Hydroids almost always hitch in on macroalgae or live rock and these can easily kill dwarf seahorses*and especially their fry*. You want to do an ammonia cycle or something similar and have a proper filter cleaning/water change regime going on.

You can keep a pair or something in a 2g

The tank looks like it will work fine. Make sure you do plenty of research! They reguire LIVE BRINE feedings. That is the only thing that is keeping me from getting some -_-

I have a question, is it possible to do keep dwarf seahorses and xenia together?

GL!

texx

Hello, seahorse farmer here! I have a heard of Dwarfs (so cute) no You really have to be ready for alot of work, remeber you will be needing to hatch Brine EVERYDAY, I have 2 hatcherys set up in case one culture dies (I would be screwed)

Recomend:

Tonga branch Live rock (tons of hitchings!)

Tons of macro algea (again hitchings)

Maybe a shroom or too, but generally coral is a No, no

Low flow, These things hate current!

Low light, Not a good idea to have MHI (or excesive lighting for that matter) under these guys. but enough light for the algea you are getting

Remeber All seahorses habitats are lagoons, so again w/the low flow...

reeefermadness

not much to add here, everything has been said already. the hermit should be fine, as long as it is really small. go with a couple tiny blue legs. a mandarin fish can also make a good tank mate for the ponies as they eat similar food and are pretty peaceful.

go to seahorsefarms.com(farms w/ an "s")

they got tank raised dwarf seahorses for sale w/ BRINE SHRIMP cultures included...cheap too!

i belive they will do better in a mostly mac algea tank b/c its where they live naturally, plus the mac will help support populations of copeopods and amphipods for them to eat on too!

the tank picked ,Eclipse Explorer II looks like a perfect lil picotope, however im not that familar w/ this one....

-what kind of light does it have??

if it takes incandesant bulbs your in the clear, just get some coralife 50/50 bulbs and screw em in,

however if it takes those lil skinny eclipse bulbs that wont be the spectrum and power you need to keep corals w/ your horses....mac will grow under cheap lights, but so will slime.....

i got a tom 3 gal picotope for 50 bucks and its ready to go for my seahorses, i plan on officially keeping/breeding them in a 5.5 AGA...mostly b/c my tom equipment should swap right over....heres a tiny pic of my tom tank next to my other rigs...

i think seawater has crack in it b/c i find myself spending alot of cash on ma tanks and i cant help it! i think i have a problem....does nano-reef have a rehab?

I believe seahorsefarms.com sells wild caught creatures that have been tank acclimated, not tank raise or CB.

Archived