Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chrismas trees are neat!

FUGU!!!

Chrismas tree worms.COULD I keep chrismas tree worms in a nano? I have heard that there easy to keep and hard to keep.They are soooo cool! On liveaquaria.com I hear that they need medium flow and shade.But at jlaquatics.com I hear that they need MH lighting and heavy flow.But JL's worms live in symbiosis coral and the coral is VERY hard to keep.Or should I just stay awy all togeather?I have PC lighting.

heres the links

JL aquatics

liveaquaria.com

My lfs has a big one with like 10 worms in it under pc's, they have had it for like a month and looks great. They say pc's are fine the coral just wont grow really fast? But who knows....They have been wrong before!

DementedLullaby
My lfs has a big one with like 10 worms in it under pc's, they have had it for like a month and looks great. They say pc's are fine the coral just wont grow really fast? But who knows....They have been wrong before!

I think you should be fine, porites can be quite hardy. Maybe some like more lighting than others depending where they are found though. Just make sure you have a good ammount of lighting and you should be okay. Maybe try to place it a bit higher up on the reef if at all possible.

the worms do have a relationship with the porites

that relationship isnt very well understood

but as long as you keep the porites happy the worms will be happy

porites is an sps spp but i dont think theyre really a high light coral

do some research on porites before you get into it

they'll be fine under pc but I know for a fact the corals are fine for a month or so and then they begin to slowly die.

the coral fades, and the worms dissappear one by one.

Personally, I'm not so sure on the whole symbiotic relationship thing, involving Porities(specificly) and CTW's..... I have a Pavona cactus coral(also SPS) with three CTW's in it.

I believe they just require a host coral, not just a Porities as a host. The worms require no light, as they themselves aren't photosynthetic. That being said, light doesn't seem to harm them either, atleast IME. Mine are only a couple inches under 96 watts of PC on a NC 12.

non-photosynt

Some links:

some successful keepers, more, more.

Article of Rob Toonen.

side notes: beware of the shrimps , can't find source of quotation, but

Tubeworms are not compatible with banded coral shrimp, arrow crabs or most other crustaceans. Fish that feed on tubeworms include mandarinfish, blennies, filefish, pufferfish, triggerfish and wrasses.

I have brownish Christmas tree rock for a 3 months, under 20W 50-50 PC (before this under 27W 6500K daylight) and a strong direct sunlight for a few hours, desription and photos are here and here. In a 5g hexagon flow was good: directed onto the opposite wall, than, reflected, flows over all sides of the CTR. Almost no filtration, Whisper 10i power filter for a flow. Feeding for a tank - small paricles, left after defreezing of the mysis and brine shrimp (twice daily), and some zoo- and phytoplankton (ZooPlan and Kent bottled products).

I just like them and doing my best in keeping them. Big rock occupies a lot of space, though. Badly wanted to buy another CTR - bright green porites and red wine-colored plumes, but that rock was also very big, could find a place then and in a month in LFS porites were dead, but worms still survived.

Are chrismas tree worms the same as bristel worms? Hmmmm,should I get them or not? I will wate until I am established.In the meantime I will do pleanty of reacearch!

Thanks! :)

I want to get an anemoney crab after I get my first coral,a toadstool.Will the anemoney crab stay in the toadstool.In January my LFS is giving me a pumping xinia coral for chrismas

DementedLullaby

Bristle worms are NOT the same as CT worms nope :). Christmas tree worms are filter feeders more related to feather dusters.

As for the crab. I wouldn't want the bastard sitting in my toadie. I don't think the toadie would either ;). I guess you mean porcelain crab? Only a few of them actually require an anemone. I have a porcelain crab that just sits on a rock all day waving his baskets around collecting food.

Yes porclian,but at my LFS I have seen them in a dead anemoney (or was it a toadstool?).Could it have killed it? They are my favorite species of crab.And yes,I will get a bunch of CTW in a few months!

Any other reccomendations for a 5g tank? I only want one fish and plenty of inverts.

Archived