Coral Vue Hydros

Some stuff about goniopora.......

Keng Yew, Leong

Keng Yew, Leong

I have 2 types of goniopora in my 4 gallon(a common purplish brown and a greenish yellow type).Before I had both of them in my tank,I always had surface scum and hair algae on the glass(due to extra nutrients?).Now that they are in my tank,there is not even a spot of scum or algae on the surface.From what I heard,gonioporas are from nutrient rich lagoons.Is that maybe why that they are taking up nutrients?Another question is my tank has a photoperiod of 12+ hours.The gonioporas only extend their polyps for only +- 10 hours a day.Its polyp extension period is very consistant.I was wondering why is that so?

Any replies will be appreciated......

That open period is normal and nothing to worry about. Most corals feeding goes on for 8-10 hours a day and after that they usally shut down. Totally normal.

You will probably want toi try to geed the goniopora with some form of phytoplankton supplements as they seem to already have cleaned your tank out. This is one thing that has caused these little guys to be difficult to keep for long periods of time.....they run out of nutrients.

Cameron

I like to call it gonerapora because it usually doesn't last long in aquariums. This is unfortunate because it is such a beautiful coral. You are correct about the habitat, turbid lagoons. It is one of the most commonly imported corals because it is so easy to collect. It also has one of the worst track records in captivity. In my opinion it is unethical to import these animals. Practices like these are just ammunition for evironmentalist groups who would just love to ban the collection of corals.

Archived