ReefCleaners.org

starting a 20g nano!

yel98vwgti

hey all!

I have a few quastions i am starting a 20g Nano reef and have given alot of thought into what i am gonna do! and i would love to hear your feedback on what i am doing!

Filtration:

20 pounds of live rock and a CPR 18" Auqofuge Refugium

Lighting:

Two 24" VHO's at 75 Watts a piece With ice cap 660 ballast

Critters:

Good clean up crew of snails and crabs, along with maybe two cleaner shrimp.

Fish:

Either Two Clownfish or possibly three other sort of fish (what do you guys suggest?)

Corals:

I am unsure of that at the moment but with the lighting i think i will be able to house almost anything

movement:

Two Maxi Jet 400's both angled at the side walls to create very uneven disturbance in the water i might even place them at different hights (what do you guys think?)

This will be my first saltwater tank so i want all the info i can for this i am also planning on a nice coral sand substrate about two inches deep. It is going to be a 20 High and i am custom making a hood for it to house the vho's. Any one that has some expertise is appricated iw ould love it! I have kept and still do keep a very succesful freshwater planted 55 gallon tank, and also what will i need to do if i eventually want to move all of this stuff over to the 55? will there be much that i need to do, I would endup putting on a Amiracle hang on wet/dry filter along with the refugium and i would up the live rock to around 60-70 pounds!

Let me know what it takes i would love all of your help!

Chris

sounds like a real nice set up! Don't forget your test kits, cleaning quipment, some quality water and salt. Also, what are you going to use in the fuge in terms of substrate? Are you planning on your VHO's lighting the fuge as well as the main tank? If so, I would consider using a seperate source for the fuge. Some PC 50/50's or something.

My 20 is up now for three weeks. I got 25# live rock from Harbor Aquatics(great rocks). I have an Emperor 280 HOB instead of PHs and it has great circulation. But your plans sound great.

Archived