Pod Your Reef

sea cucumber

c_town

Hey guys this is my first post here, but I have been scanning these forums for some time.

here is a quick bio:I have been reefing for 4 years and just recently have set up a 14gal biocube. I used water sand and rock from my main tank to avoid a cycle things seem to be gong good so far

the question is:

In my main tank(soon to be sold off and gone forever)I have an awsome Sea cucumber and I would like to keep him. Is a 14gal tank to small to sustain him or would it be beter if he went with my main tank to a new home???

he is a verry large cuke and I have had him for many years sad to say im more attached to him then any of my fish,but I dont think I can keep him.

DementedLullaby

I wouldn't really suggest keeping him. I don't really know the feeding habits(I guess it depends on the cuke)but my guess is there won't be enough for him to feed off. Not to mention I would suppose he would bring up the bioload quite a bit.

At least you can be sure he will continue living his healthy life when he goes to his new home :).

edit : what sort is he?

non-photosynt

I am keeping sea cucumbers (one filter-feeding and other is sand-sifter) for only 2 months, most of this time they were in 5 gal tank. Too small for sand-sifter, but good for a filter feeder (hexagon gave king of flow it likes).

Now they are in 20g long tank with 1" or aragonite sand. My sand-sifter is golden caribean cucumber, may be 5" long. I fed it additionally in 5 gal by adding 2 sinking shrimp pellets on the sand. Now he is without additional feeding in 20g, even don't keeps up with sand cleaning.

My not much experienced guess will be - you can try to keep it in 14g cube, to be sure - gave it away to a very experienced keeper.

If it is a filter-feeder - depends on your plans with other inhabitants of this bio-cube. Filter-feeder needs a lot of food, high density of it in a small volume will be good, only keep water quality not too bad. There is a good article by Rob Toonen, only mine prefers to have zooplankton or a smallest sea-food particles too, in addition to a phytoplankton.

Archived