ReefCleaners.org

[Stock] espenlg

espenlg

Introduction

I just got into saltwater three months ago, and I'm having somewhat success with a Aqua Medic Chromis 150L with a 70L sump. I've been tagging along here at Nano-Reef, and when this contest came up I really had no choice, I just *had* to join in ;-)

I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible, very low budget, trying to use what I already have.

Tank

- All Glass 10g (20x10x12)

Lighting

- Interpet T5 Power Compact Daylight Blue 36W

Filtration

Hagen Fluval 205 External Filter

4.5 kg Liverock

Circulation

Hagen AquaClear 201 Powehead

Temperature Control

Leftower 50W

Water

- RO/DI water

- Tropic Reef Marine salt

Livestock

Fish

1 x Stonogobiops nematodes

1 x Gobiodon citrinis

Coral

Xenia elongata (Pumping xenia)

Zonanthids (Orange/brown)

Protopalythoa sp. (Brown/green)

Inverts

1 x Stenopus hispidus (Banded coral shrimp)

1 x Astraea tecta (Conehead snail)

2 x Clibanarius Tricolor (Red legged hermit crab)

Official Contest Photos

Entry Photo

NanoReef_001.jpg

October

Akvarie_002-2.jpg

November

December

January

February

March

Final

awesome tank! where did you get it?
Just bought it at a LFS here in Norway.. I'm not even sure if it has a name :), I paid $40 for it. I guess glass-tanks is a lot more usual up here compared to the states were acrylic is used more? You won't find acrylic tanks at all in the regular LFS here..

Ahh, ok :) Thanks for clearing that up..

I got some LR yesterday for my nano, but I'll admit it's pretty hard to aquascape in such a small space :-| If I only could find smaller rocks..

I don't really have the best odds up here I think, it's not easy to find nano-related stuff here ;) Like Ricordeas, Zoanthids and small Clams are almost impossible to get.. I've only seen Ricordeas once in store in Oslo, and that wasn't for sale he,he

Thanks! Things are starting to clear up here now, I'll be taking some pictures soon. I just want to get the right powerhead and filter in there..

I've added LR, a couple of mushrooms, some zoanthids and polyps aswell as some pulsing xenia and macro algue..

I've added sand and seeded it with sand from both my refugium and main tank, so it's already crawling with life :-)

Man I want that tank! I cant wait to see some more pics.
You should stick with the 10g you already have - it looks awesome! I wish I think I need to get some more LR rubble, and try copying your aquascaping. It looks supercool!

I'm waiting as long as possible with the pictures.. Haven't really gotten that far, I'm still waiting for the filter, circ.pump and correct lightbulb. I think it's only days now before I have it.

Decided to change the background-color today aswell.. Started out with a bright blue (I'll post pictures later), and now I tried something I thought was dark grey, but turned out to be kinda light grey :( I'll just wait to see if it changes after it has dried up.. If not, I'm gonna get me some black paint ;)

Here is a picture of what it looks like now.. I've changed the background from blue to grey, and that helped alot. I'm still waiting for the HOB-filter, correct 50/50 PC lightning and pumps, it's only days now I guess..

Akvarie_003.jpg

I know the Xenia looks a little sad, but it's much better now after a couple of water changes..

Coming along nicely. It will be interesting to see what you guys have access in Norway compared to in the U.S. I've heard reef keeping is pretty popular like in Germany but how about around your area?

Coming along nicely. It will be interesting to see what you guys have access in Norway compared to in the U.S. I've heard reef keeping is pretty popular like in Germany but how about around your area?

That's the thing.. Customs makes it very difficult and expensive to buy things from abroad.. If i bring a SPS coral from Germany and get caught the fines start at $1500.. So I have to stick with what's already available here.. And thats not much, forget about all the fancy-colored Zoanthids.. I have heard about one or two in Norway that has Ricordeas.. There are zero webshops selling livestock :-) This must sound like the old soviet, but it's not really ;) It's just that reef keeping for us lethal guys has just begun up here.. I guess it will be very different in 5 years or so..

I was actually thinking about skipping the tropical theme, and go for a cold-water Norway-marine theme.. Pick things I could find in the sea here, that would be pretty unique for this contest I guess :-) But then I would have to buy a cooler and that's to expensive for me right now..

Anyway; I'm not complaining - I enjoy following the tanks on both categories, and if I can get some cool stuff to my tank aswell thats a bonus ;)

Akvarie_002-2.jpg

Added official october-image :) Finally got the new 50/50 bulb I ordered aswell as the power-head and filter. All technical equipment is now in place and won't be changed unless broken etc.. I might look for a smaller heater if that won't violate the rules.

I have added two fishes to my tank over the last week. The first was a Gobiodon citrinis that was living in my 45G's refugium because it was eating Acropora.. It has settled nicely in his/her new home.

Akvarie_005-2.jpg

Then I was lucky enough to be one of the first visiting a LFS nearby with a new shipment from singapore, and I found a very cool Stonogobiops nematodes! I couldn't resist buying it so it has moved in aswell. It took food after an hour so seems like everything is ok there aswell.

Akvarie_022.jpg

So I think that concludes the fish-part of my tank. Now the hunt for some nice softies will begin ;)

• 4 weeks later...

My 10g nano didn't really work out very well, so it's empty now, and I'm no longer part of the contest, but good luck to everyone else! I'm visiting every day to check for new posts and pictures :-)

Archived