ReefCleaners.org

recomend a clean up crew

chuckfullservice

chuckfullservice

whats do you guys recomend for a clean up crew?

Snails species and quantity?

Crabs or shrimp or both ? Quantity and species ?

Any recomendations would be appreciated!

Notes tank is 29 gal cube 40 lbs lr 40 lbs live sand

second week of cycling!

You really cant over do it on a cleanup crew, I would go with around 2 dozen blue legged hermits and another 2 dozen astrea snails, that would be pretty sufficient... Margarita snails are nice too because they eat a decent amount of detritis, id go with a dozen or so of those... Crabs are pretty much up to you alot of larger ones have potential to eat fish (Even Sally lightfoots will eat fish sometimes) some emerald crabs would work nicely... Pepperment shrimp are good and will even reproduce in your tank... Quantities are pretty much up to you as I said though I dont think you can really overdo your cleanup crew (unless you realllllllly buy alot of snails/crabs [like 100+ may be overkill haha]) Turbo snails are cleaning machines but can knock down corals and stuff like that because of their big size...

Goodluck with your tank!

Kyle

You really cant over do it on a cleanup crew,

Huh? :eek:

A mixture of snails: Nassarius Vibex, Cerith, maybe a few Astrea or turbos. I regret ever getting hermit crabs but most people get them as a member of the CUC. It seems a lot of people prefer blue-legged hermits but I'm sure someone will disagree. I would disagree with the previous post and recommend adding maybe 10 at a time and determining the needs. General rule of thumb is 1 snail for every gallon. Some will say that's too much, others not enough. By adding them in "waves" you can determine how many you'll need.

I have 8 Cerith, 5 Nass., 1 Astrea, 3 hermits, and a skunk cleaner shrimp in a 24 gallon AP. I'll be adding 5 more Nass., 2 more Ceriths, and another Astrea.

Yeah , you can overdo it, it just takes alot of snails and crabs to overpopulate a tank with inverts... Ive heard the snail per gallon rule and IMO thats usually alot of snails, so you really have to overload to over do it...

chuckfullservice

thanks for th help guys I think I will put in some astre, nassarius and cerith to start maybe a total of ten and go from there .

Archived