Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

brissleworms

TheLadyDragon

TheLadyDragon

hello

im new to the forum, but not soo new to keeping a nano reef

my question is how can i get rid of bristle worms?

my friend but a piece of his liverock with mushroom corals on it and it introduce brissles to my tank. like are there any animals that will eat them, or will i have to pull out the hemostats and fish them out?

thanx

Ashley

if they haven't done anything wrong, don't remove them.. they are beneficial parts of your aquarium.. there are a bad species or two, but there's no need to pull it unless you know for sure it's causing trouble..

just because they hang out in your live rock doesn't mean they're doing anything wrong.. I toss a chunk of squid or shrimp in once a month or so for the hermits and fish to peck at.. the bristle worms come out and grab a few bites, then disappear..

why again are we looking to kill bristleworms? lets not jump on the bandwagon and slaughter them all here... a few bad species gives the whole genus a bad rap..

I have hundreds of bristleworms in my 40g and have never witnessed them do anything bad, they come out at night, look for fod and then go back in the gravel, rock or wherever they came from. the have NEVER attacked corals, or my fish that sleep in the live rock and my mandarin that sleeps on the gravel. I've seen them crawling all around him and never do anything.

Look at it this way, if you pull them out, then you pull out a means of keeping your tank healthy. When I feed my fish they come pouring out to grab anything that may get by them. Anything that falls into the rock where the blue legs can't get it they get it.

Just part of the ecosystem that keeps things stable.

-JOnathan

Thank you Jonathan.. perfect example.. mine do the exact same thing..

Even if you witness a bristleworm munching on a coral, it does NOT mean it's killing healthy coral, it could be a dieing polyp.. don't jump to conclusions...

Which are the "bad" bristleworms? What do they look like? In my 40 gallon several years ago there were 1-3" pinkish bristle worms, and I took them out as that's when everyone said they were all bad. Any info appreciated.

Archived