Top Shelf Aquatics

Clean up crew for green spotted puffer tank?

ab420

Hello, I have an adult green spotted puffer in a 30 gallon tank by himself, he was slowly acclimated to full marine as recommended. He is in there by himself, and there is some live rock in there, more to be added in time.

Now, this guy LOVES to eat snails (pond snails that come in on FW plants, the LFS gives them to me for free)

I would like to have some sort of clean up crew in this tank, but I don't know what would be compatible with a green spotted puffer.

Has anyone ever successfully kept any cleaners in with a GSP?

Thanks in advance.

DementedLullaby

If you scatter LOTS of shells you can keep hermits. Snails might fall prey to a GSP for the same reasons you stated. I had a nerite as a test snail with my GSP and she eventually killed it. Snails with operculums are your best bet though. My GSP has got kinda lazy...she won't hunt ghost shrimp anymore. Rather hunt my fingers :lol:

good luck and keep us posted

If you scatter LOTS of shells you can keep hermits. Snails might fall prey to a GSP for the same reasons you stated. I had a nerite as a test snail with my GSP and she eventually killed it. Snails with operculums are your best bet though. My GSP has got kinda lazy...she won't hunt ghost shrimp anymore. Rather hunt my fingers :lol:

good luck and keep us posted

ya know, I was thinking the same thing about getting a bunch of empty shells and a few hermits... I'm gonna give that a try and see how it goes. Thanks!

Should that be enough to clean stuff up? Do I need anything to stir the sand up or should I just manually do that?

DementedLullaby
ya know, I was thinking the same thing about getting a bunch of empty shells and a few hermits... I'm gonna give that a try and see how it goes. Thanks!

Should that be enough to clean stuff up? Do I need anything to stir the sand up or should I just manually do that?

The hermit tip I got from some website which escapes me now :P. It was wrote by someone who had been keeping puffers for ages so I took her word on it. The puffer will be to confused by all the shells and will stop caring.

All the life on your LR should be able to stir the sand okay but ya may want to add some nassarius as well. I don't know how easily they'd fall prey to the puffer...I guess mealtime is the big test since that's when they leave the sand bed.

I've heard of people using those big ol mean hermits (the huge ones) in puffer tanks. They get big enough that the puffer doesn't really consider them a meal anymore. That said, if you have anything else in there it could become an expensive hermit snack.

I've heard of people using those big ol mean hermits (the huge ones) in puffer tanks. They get big enough that the puffer doesn't really consider them a meal anymore. That said, if you have anything else in there it could become an expensive hermit snack.

Big hermit crabs? Do you have any names that I could search for? I haven't seen any over 2"

This is probably a stupid question... the puffer would eat a cleaner shrimp too, wouldn't he? I would love to get a shrimp, but not if he's going to be eaten!

DementedLullaby

I've seen a porcupine puffer be cleaned by a cleaner shrimp.

Having said that I don't know about GSP's since they don't readily come from reef areas. Maybe if you kept him fed enough and the cleaner shrimp was quite large but aside from that it really is a gamble.

Archived