inTank Media Baskets

Pistol Shrimp Questions..

Izzy

A few questions regarding Pistol Shrimp:

#1: How long would you recommend acclimating a Pistol Shrimp? I plan on doing so via drip method.

#2: For obvious reasons, I'd like the shrimp (and future shrimp goby) to have their cave or burrow near the front of the tank in full-view. Will pre-making a cave/burrow and HOPE that the shrimp finds it do any good?

#3: At my LFS there are (2) Pistol Shrimp. How should I determine which to pick? The bigger of the two...or?

#4: Will a Pistol Shrimp be compatible with a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp?

Thanks, I can't wait to pick him up.

#1: You should drip acclimate any shrimp for one hour; personally, I only temperature acclimate for 15 minutes and release.

#2: Not really, the good thing is that they'll create a massive cave system under all of your rock work so you never know just where your goby will pop its head out.

#3: If they're the same species, yeah, just get the bigger one if both look healthy. Be sure to look up the compatibility of the shrimp as not all gobies will necessarily join any shrimp.

#4: Yes.

#1: You should drip acclimate any shrimp for one hour; personally, I only temperature acclimate for 15 minutes and release.

#2: Not really, the good thing is that they'll create a massive cave system under all of your rock work so you never know just where your goby will pop its head out.

#3: If they're the same species, yeah, just get the bigger one if both look healthy. Be sure to look up the compatibility of the shrimp as not all gobies will necessarily join any shrimp.

#4: Yes.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Fortunately the Shrimp/Goby is already paired up at my LFS and both look healthy as far as I can tell.

One question I have, how tolerant are Pistol Shrimp of Nitrates? I've been fluctuating from 20-40PPM lately...ugh.

One question I have, how tolerant are Pistol Shrimp of Nitrates? I've been fluctuating from 20-40PPM lately...ugh.

I'm no expert, but I believe all shrimp are very sensitive to nitrates and copper. Check out this link - third paragraph linky

I thin that your shrimp willbe fine because I have a skunk cleaner and my nitrates stay about 20-40. I would get the smaller of the two because that means it is younger and it will live longer(if they are the same species).

I thin that your shrimp willbe fine because I have a skunk cleaner and my nitrates stay about 20-40. I would get the smaller of the two because that means it is younger and it will live longer(if they are the same species).

OMG!!!!!!

thats really high! (20-40)

I do 10% water changes weekly and I only have a clownfish, 1 clown goby, and 1 scooter blenny in my 30g. I think I found out the problem though. My HOB refugium's sandbed was holding a lot of junk that got sucked up by the filter in it. I siphoned it out and took out some of the sand. I reaaly hope this helps because I want one more fish. Sorry for stealing the spotlight Izzy. :lol:

A few questions regarding Pistol Shrimp:

#1: Everything I read says to drip acclimate pistols, but I also just temp acclimate them for 15-20 minutes and let them loose, havnt lost any this way..

#2: This is kind of hit and miss, my candy stripe has been unseen for about 2 weeks and he still hasnt paired up with my randalls goby, if you have a large tank more than likely the shrimp will make an extensive cave system underneith the tank, in my experience I would let the pistol set up his cave first then introduce the Goby to him once the cave is made, with a Goby you will see your shrimp more often too...

#3: Doesnt really matter I guess, if your worried about the loud noise of the claw I would go with the smaller one. IME Tiger Pistols are pretty loud, and candy stripes tend to be a little quieter...

#4: My candy-stripe and my skunk rarely run into eachother as the cleaner stays higher on the liverock most of the time... I havnt noticed any problems keeping the two together...

Good luck with your future pistolshrimp!

DementedLullaby

Just IMO but I'd prefer a smaller pistol shrimp if it is of the same species. I would suppose the smaller one would be younger and have a longer life with me.

Just IMO but I'd prefer a smaller pistol shrimp if it is of the same species. I would suppose the smaller one would be younger and have a longer life with me.

To all who have posted and helped so far...THANK YOU!

I'm slowly going to convert, or at least I plan to, convert my sump (which is built-in) into a refugium and loaded with chaeto, which will all but eliminate my nitrates.

I'm not sure why they're at the level they're at, however I'm going to do a 20% water change tomorrow and get the high-fin goby for the time being and wait until my nitrates are at least 10PPM, if not zero, as I'm in no hurry.

Once I get either the fish or pistol i'll definitely post pictures!

:lol:

As much as I want both NOW, this hobby rewards patience, plus my nerves have a cost.

Archived