Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Picotope 3g

paradicio

So my wife has been seeing how much fun I've been having with my 24g AquaPod, she decided she wanted a tank too. So yesterday we went out and got her a 3g Picotope. We got 3lbs of live rock and 3lbs of live sand. I also took some sand and a piece of live rock from my tank and put it in hers to hopefully help her out. Here's a picture of it! :)

picotope.jpg

I apologize in advance for the plethora of (probably dumb) questions I'll be asking about Picos! :D

Your off to a great start. Pico tanks are very nice in the fact that they can be set up with minimal costs. You might want to think about upgrading lighting in order to keep more light demanding coral. What are your or your wifes plans for this tank?

We're honestly not quite sure yet. She's already started looking into upgrading lights, though we're not going to do it until we need to (i.e. decide to keep more light demanding corals), and we'll be keeping the light off for the first part of the cycle. :)

We've got the little pump for flow, a heater, and the filter that it comes with (though I might try to find a quieter one - any suggestions?). I took the carbon out of the filter for the cycle. I don't really like having carbon in the filter for a cycle (not really sure if it makes a difference, just a quirk of mine :) ).

If I'm way off base with how I'm starting please let me know (i.e. cycling with the lights off and keeping carbon out of the filter for the cycle). Also if you have any tips, tricks, or mods that you'd recommend I'd love to hear em!

Thanks!

Well if you ever decide to upgrade lighting I would recommend going with the 12" 18w Current USA Satellite fixture. I've used their light fixtures before and I was very impressed with their quality, reliability, and reasonable price.

For a filter I would look into a AquaClear 20 or 30. From my experience they are very quiet, adjustable flow, and would provide more room for media. I used a AquaClear 30 on my 2.5g pico and it worked great.

There are a few things that I could mention. Make sure you keep up with topping off as water will evaporate quickly in a pico. Keeping up with small frequent water changes is a must especially in a pico. Last but not least have fun with your tiny saltwater tank. :)

Archived