SaltCritters.com

Sanders Piccolo Skimmer

MacnReef

I'll make you a deal. I just ordered lees skimmer and it should arrive in a day or two. If it is too large for my fuge, I will need the piccolo and will want to unload the lee's skimmer. It will be unused and the only time it will have come out of the box will be to see if I can fit it somewhere in the fuge. I would sell it, with shipping, for the same price as I paid for it (without the shipping cost).

Otherwise, check the classified thread, there are piccolo's there.

Thanx Crak...I still don't have my minibow yet...will have it tonight. Just trying to figure out what I can use, if I decide to use a skimmer.

I did alot of searching on this last week. Here's the shiznit!

Lees.....Doc fosters for $18.99 + SH, 12.25 inches tall and needs 11" of water to work.

Piccolo..Dallas northern aquaiums (something like that, see ross' post) for $39.99 + SH, 6" tall and need something like 4" of water to work.

If you got the cash or space restriction get the piccolo, otherwise the lee's should work great!

;)

onthefly

Thanx! That is exactly what I was looking for. I got my minibow last night so I will be setting it up over the next two months. If I need a skimmer, I will get one after that!

Thanx again!

Mike

The small lee's skimmer won't fit in the MB 7 unless you have a custom hood. The collection cup hits on the light, and the tube on the tank. I just ordered a coralife super protien skimmer to go in my Hob. If you can find it b/c its discontinued.

I have a question about the lees skimmer. Sorry if this is taking your thread over, just want a quick answer. Crakeur I want to get the small one from dr foster and smith, is it an external skimmer? Can I hang it from the side of the tank outside the water? I don't have room for it inside the tank....

Thanks!

Mine hangs on the left side of the tank at the back it uses about 5-6in. from the left side inwards and about 2-4in.from the back of the tank to the hood it needs around 10 or so in. of water to work in i use to use it on my 10gal. but i had to tempararily take that tank down so now its on my 29gal.( when i reset up the 10gal. im gonna buy the medium size to use on the 29gal.)

hth helps some :)

I have the piccolo for my 7. It works very well. Here's what you do. Buy an Aquaclear 200, about $25. It hooks to the back of the tank and moves 200 gallons per hour. Instead of putting the filter in the AC200 you put the picollo, it fits perfectly. There is still enough room for a bag of carbon. As far as pumps go, you can gat one for under $10 at petco. I went with the tetratec 150 $25. Just make sure you have some way of setting the air flow, dial on the 150, or a pressure valve about $1 for plastic. But spend the extra $4 for a metal one, it is worht it. Also because you have the flow from the AC200 you only have to get 1 micro PH instead of 2. And the cost of the AC200 and the micro is the same price as 1 maxi. I did alot of reading before purchasing a skimmer and I have to say the picollo is worth the cost difference, by the way I got mine for $32.99 at lfs.

Size - it's about the with of a toilet paper roll and about 6-8 inches long. Plus the piccolo doesn't need 11 inches of water to work. With the cheaper ones they have to go in the tank and take up ALOT of room. ALOT.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no noise. It all depends no the air pump you get. It doesn't need any modifying. I have a picture of it in members forum.

Thanks!

So the piccolo is made in Germany!

I'll have to call the phone number you mention in your thread in the members forum to find out if they sell it anywhere in the Eugene, OR area.

Since I'm from Germany there shouldn't be any language problems ;)

Nice tank, btw!

Siskiou (still trying to convince the husband that we *need* a little reef tank)

Archived