SaltCritters.com

Surface Scum...what to do

3twenty5

3twenty5,

here are a couple of pics of my set-up using the CPR pre-skimmer. The batteries to my camera died so I only have old general photos of my set-up, but you can see the pre-skimmer back right in the first photo. Second shot is of my 18" CPR fuge with LS bed and chunk of Fiji, no light yet. Hope this helps.

these pictures aren't helping at all. Damn lithium camera batteries. I tried to zoom in on the first pic so you can see the back right corner of the tank where the pre-skimmer is.

"Ok I think I have it now. You hook that tube up to the intake of the PH and adjust the flow for skimming etc. Now doesn't that just suck the scum form surface into the PH to get blowed out into tank? Seems best to have a HOB so that trash water gets filtered, correct?"

I don't use any other filter than rock and sand so in effect, it is going to the filter (the rock and sand).

I wouldn't use filter media with an overflow, this is exactly what

J. Sprung and C Delbeek warn against in The Reef Aquarium Vol. 1 with the use of bio-balls or Bio-Wheels, the amino acids and particulate organic materials from the surface scum turns to nitrate immediately when introduced to such media (including sponges and filter media) in an oxygen rich high flow enviroment. This is why people say Bio-balls are nitrate factories. I can understand how you would think that way though, seems just wrong I know.

HTH,

Toy

kevin brocato

Tried to see skimmer box in your pics, but having a hard time. Thanks for the effort though. On my HOB I have in there just some filter floss to catch the particles. Every now and then I wash it out with tap or either put in a fresh piece as I agree with the LR and LS as being my filters. So far this is working as nitrates are zero. I have also read to be careful in washing out the filter floss as this is where helpful bacteria is kept. I don't buy that though because the LR and LS as I said are my filters so I just wash it out once a week. This should keep the nitrates down correct?

Archived