inTank Media Baskets

Let's see those zoas and palys!

pookstreet

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well that just sucks. :( I have the stock 54w PC lighting in my 12g Aquapod, and most people I get frags from, or all LFS's tend to be using MH lighting... I haven't noticed any shifts with any of my zoas thus far... I DO have some blue zoas I got this past weekend, so I'll be keeping my eye on them real close. How long does a morph/shift take to happen?

You may never notice shifts but it is highly possible. It depends on the variety of zoa but unfortunately the most colorful varieties (and especially the intense blues) tend to shift when they go from MH to PC. In the past I have had some change color w/in a couple weeks and others that seemed to very gradually change over many months and I only noticed the changes from pics I took over that timeframe.

I was most dissapointed with some blues I got. They lost all of their blue coloration and very very slowly declined in the number of polyps over the period of a year until I got MH. Then within ~month they came back and looked like they did in the guys tank I got them from and began multiplying like crazy.

The best thing I can recommend for you is to keep the zoas as close to the top as possible. PC lighting really decreases in intensity as you go further down in the tank. Keeping you zoas up top should help keep their coloration as best as possible.

The pics aren't really from a commercial site, I mean I didn't rip them off from a site or anything, but they are from somebody who sells zoas. I have a couple contacts that I buy from every once in a while as most zoas we get here in Indiana are brown, yay.

I was just curious b/c those pix looked too blue and it's been known to be a way to enhance the coloration on corals.

Who usually name these zoos? If there isn't a name for my pink ones yet...I would like to call them "pink bastards" for now.

LOL.....check out www.zoaid.com to see if someone has a name for them. There probably is.

few random shots of my limited supply of zoos...

i want more zoos and palys but im running outta room haha...

Cool shots. There is always more room for new corals :P

Can anybody else not see peanuts picture? I'd like to see his basturds, lol.

Here are two that are mine and my pictures, two four coloreds.

88376a12.jpg

zoa7.jpg

they aren't all open cause I think the lights just came on

BustytheSnowMaam

Part of my big GBP rock. They're not as charismatic as the colorful ones people have posted here, but I think this picture is really beautiful. A lot of people out there have babies from this colony.

post-1076-1160615941_thumb.jpg

Alright, I got some pics for you all off ehh 805% of my palys and zoas in my tank. I'm surprised my camera came through for me in the macro dept, lol! ALL pics taken under the stock AP12g 54w lighting, and camera settings of 1/15 @ f3.1 on my PowerShot S1 IS, using the "daylight" setting of the white balance which seems to keep the closest to the true color...

My palys, I'm not sure what kind, I've heard maybe Green Mood People Eaters (GMPEs) bu I have no idea really...

palys1.jpg

Fire & Ice...

zoas13.jpg

Some more that I don't know what they are called, but they are pretty large in size, and interesting color, morphing Fire & Ice maybe??

zoas31.jpg

Some pinks, also not sure of these... I've been told they are pink palys though, thoughts??

zoas23.jpg

A gaggle of blowpops, EE's, Radioactive Alien Eyes, some unknown browns, and some green skirts with light blue midsection and yellow mouths...

zoas5.jpg

Some purplish blue (more purple than blue) mids with greenish/yellow mouths and brown/green/orange skirts...

zoas4.jpg

And lastly some blues! Although they have a purple tint and look to them, but more blue than purple, maybe closer to violet?

zoas6.jpg

And that's my paly/zoa collection thus far, actually I got some new palys today from the LFS, but night cycle kicked on before they could open up much after acclimating, so another time. They are very interesting and ones I've never seen before... I also might buy a colony of ones like what Floorlord has but are unidentified... We shall see. ;)

One last submission of mine here till next time, lol! Just picked these neat palys up yesterday. Definitely not sure what kind they are, but look pretty cool!! B)

palys2.jpg

You got a nice little collection going there Phixion ;)

Thanks Pook! ;)

I really should be forbidden from the LFS here, lol! I went yesterday and picked up this nice colony of palys. It's easily 75+ polyps (covered front and most of the back and top of course) and about softball size. I took the pic with my alternate (old) camera, a Canon PS A40, so the quality isn't all that, plus the flash completely flushed out the color, but these are the SAME type of paly that Floorlord posted up in his thread about some odd palys he found. They have a white mouth which green center ring, and an outer ring that's micro thin pink and white lines running inside to outside edge. I saw the ones in his post, then saw these ate the LFS (no delivery) and was like "OH crap, those are the same ones, I GOTTA get that colony!!" These was another NICE colony with a what looked like dark blue center inner ring, bright green outer center ring and like a brownish skirt. I'm sure they are something also valueable, but I couldn't confirm if the center was blue or black because the light wasn't quite reacing it (a VERY blue MH light). So without further adue, my new palys... B)

palys3.jpg

aw man those are NICE.

let me know if you ever wanna frag them :P

Thanks Pook! ;)

I really should be forbidden from the LFS here, lol! I went yesterday and picked up this nice colony of palys. It's easily 75+ polyps (covered front and most of the back and top of course) and about softball size. I took the pic with my alternate (old) camera, a Canon PS A40, so the quality isn't all that, plus the flash completely flushed out the color, but these are the SAME type of paly that Floorlord posted up in his thread about some odd palys he found. They have a white mouth which green center ring, and an outer ring that's micro thin pink and white lines running inside to outside edge. I saw the ones in his post, then saw these ate the LFS (no delivery) and was like "OH crap, those are the same ones, I GOTTA get that colony!!" These was another NICE colony with a what looked like dark blue center inner ring, bright green outer center ring and like a brownish skirt. I'm sure they are something also valueable, but I couldn't confirm if the center was blue or black because the light wasn't quite reacing it (a VERY blue MH light). So without further adue, my new palys... B)

palys3.jpg

The PPEs are VERY nice as well. Sometime here I'll have to get in on some of those, lol!

aw man those are NICE.

let me know if you ever wanna frag them :P

Thanks! I'll definitely put out the word when/if I frag them! B) I'm still curious as to their name.

Here's a few zoa frags that will be going into my 10G contest tank:

Eagle Eyes (From EZCOMPANY)

Zoa_04.jpg

Purple w/ Neon Green; Can anyone ID? (From Pacific Reef)

Zoa_02.jpg

Blue/Purple w/ Cream; Can anyone ID? (From Pacific Reef)

Zoa_03.jpg

-Asin

Here's a few zoa frags that will be going into my 10G contest tank:

Purple w/ Neon Green; Can anyone ID? (From Pacific Reef)

Zoa_02.jpg

-Asin

Ah! Those are the exact same type I described above that I almost picked up instead of the ones in the last pic I posted up. Colony of them (60+ polyps) at PTF. ;)

this is what i have in my tank

pink panther?

ppactinics.jpg

id needed unnamedzoa.jpg

need an id

prettypenny.jpg

got this free during my last visit. some kinda PE?

PE.jpg

dragon eyes

DE.jpg

radioactive dragon eyes

RDE.jpg

EE from Jin.

EEnov.jpg

need ID

bluezoa.jpg

ZC.jpg

ZC3.jpg

i think the blue ones are Olaudah Equiano , think the green rings are Flaming Meanie Greenie, and no idea on the red ones

Time to inject some life into this thread :P

Blues

DSCN6826.jpg

Pinks

DSCN6820.jpg

I called these Pungkin Patch, since my 2 year old can't quite say Pumpkin yet :lol:

DSCN6825.jpg

Nice large colony of "putting greens" I aquired a couple weeks ago from the LFS. 70+ polyps, and about the size of a softball, perhaps larger...

floorlord_palys.jpg

mel0076402006

Love those photos Brad :D

Rommel

I'm not much of a zoo collector cause i find they brown and loose a little color under my PC's but heres some of mine:

im not sure of the names cause some names have changed since i was last buying zoos...

armor6.jpg

armor of god

desertfox.jpg

desert fox or green stardust

ppe4.jpg

purple people eater

armagedon2.jpg

armageddon2 or goochsters

oragzoos6.jpg

x-men paly or lunar eclipse

zoogroup.jpg

random groupshot...

-brad

Nice going everyone!!! Let's keep them coming.

Phixion, if you ever make it over to pick up you Acans, maybe we can trade some zoas/palys.

Nice going everyone!!! Let's keep them coming.

Phixion, if you ever make it over to pick up you Acans, maybe we can trade some zoas/palys.

Acans!! It's been such a hectic week since I got back from my trip, I about almost forgot... :-x Let me PM you about it, I'm still interested!

Archived