SaltCritters.com

Tank age and anemones

Sharpie129

I've just bought a modded 24 gal nano cube and I'll be starting my cycle on tuesday. I have 108W PC (which should be enough for a bta) and I wanted to do a clown/anemone system. The problem is, it's always recommended to wait 6 months for the tank to "mature". Is there anyway to speed that up so I can get the anemone in there before the clowns (which I'd love to get as soon as the tank is ready). I'm still not exactly sure what is so different after 6 months that wouldn't be the same a month after cycle. Should I just give up on this idea and try again with my (inevitable) next tank or should a bta be ok sooner than 6 months?

Clownfishcrazy1117

Wait 6 months. The difference between 1 month after a cycle and 6 months is huge. At 1 month, a tank will barely have any nutrients in the tank. At 6 months, it will have many more nutrients in the water. The reason why pink coraline algae only grows when your tank matures is the same reason why anemones need to be in a mature tank.

I say no to the idea. 108W is not enough light IMO, for an anemone. I am a true believer of waiting at least 6 to 8 months before you place such a delicate species in a tank. Anemones require prestine water conditions.

Just my .02

Archived