inTank Media Baskets

Does anyone have pics of ick?

voodoo

Scott Riemer
Dangerous, assuming he has a reef tank...

The previous poster said "quarantine" and treat, this should have no danger to the reef tank as the treatment will be confined to the QT tank.

I learned my lesson the hard way about the importance of a QT tank. I've lost three true perculas to ich. The last one made it into the QT tank but didn't survive. She seemed to be getting better (ich seemed to be disappearing) but she wouldn't eat. Once ich has been in your display tank, you need to leave it fish-less for 6 weeks to be sure the ich has died off. If the parasite has no host (fish), it will run it's cycle. You should quarantine any new fish in a QT for 4-6 weeks (6 being optimal) so you can observe them and also treat anything that needs treatment (like ich).

er1c_the_reefer

you will always have ich. they say tanks ran 4-6 weeks fallow should kill off the ich, months to years depending on the species. sort of like brine shrimp eggs. it'll come back again once you introduce fish.

however, usually fish are able to fight if off if they're eatting good, stress-free, and in good health. i have a tank full of tangs and they do great; i've never qt'ed a fish in my life. when i add a new specimen i'll run the UV sterilizer for 2 weeks and feed garlic, but that's about it. oh, and cleaner gobies help too. not cleaner wrasses or cleaner shimps, but those little neon and cherry head gobies.

are you sure that your true perculas had ich? or did they have that percula disease?

Scott Riemer
are you sure that your true perculas had ich? or did they have that percula disease?

As sure as I could be through the research I did on the internet. Sure looked like ich but I couldn't be 100%.

Archived