Top Shelf Aquatics

shedding leather

Gatita=cat

I have a question I have 2 diffrent types of leathers. A finger leather and a toadstool leather. They are far away from eachother one on each end of tank. How often are they supposed to shed? I know they shed but I was wondering if they shed more often when they are unhappy. Mine seem to be on the same shed cycle they look beautiful for a week then they shed for like 2, 3 days and then they look stellar again. I was just wondering if this was a normal shed cycle or are they supposed to shed less. Thanks

Juanita:)

It's an individual thing based on the environment. But shedding once a week sounds a bit excessive. Do you have enough water flow?

Frame of reference: I have a good sized toadstool that was in my nano. After it was introduced, it shed once or twice. Then went for months without. It only recently did it again after being moved to another tank. That was about a month ago, and it's been tall 'n hairy since then.

High temps and high lights may induce more shedding, or that at least what made mine shed more. Also my newer leathers shed more for some reason.

Yeah I have a power sweep 214 = 160 max gal/hr and a catalina aquarium aqua pump power head 400 = 200 max gal/hr. I have had a few temp increases since I have a closed hood 82 was the hottest so far, (usually about 77-79) so maybe that is one of the reasons. Thanks I am going to check and see how long it takes this time in between sheddings.

Archived