Coral Vue Hydros

Nitrates still a problem!

GuyontheCouch

GuyontheCouch

Well, my 2.5 is taking a while to drop the nitrates, its been about a month. I switched to RODI water for my .5 gallon weekly water change. Im just trying to figure out where this extra nitrates are coming from. Possibly from ceramic balls that came with my AquaClear 20?? Bad salt mix (instant ocean)??

To also help remedy the situation, A friend of mine has halameda (spelling??) plants growing like crazy in his tank. If I grabbed some and put it into my tank, 1. would it root to my rock?? 2. Would this work to suck up some of the nitrates??

non-photosynt

Chaeto (chaetomorpha) is trouble-free, grows fast, don't consume calcium and very effective. It can be used in the sump DIY sump for 2.5g, in the soap-holder, or just a ball in the corner of the tank.

One soap-holder, full of chaeto, controlled nitrates in my 10g light bio-load tank (tap water, Instant Ocean salt). It will require 6500K light or sun.

GuyontheCouch

Unfortunatley, I cannot get chaeto anywhere around where I live. Will the Halimeda work? I will monitor my calcium levels after i put the stuff in the tank. I just wish i knew what was causing the hight levels of nitrate.

you could saturate your water with a more soluble anion and ppt the nitrate out. but figuring out which is gonna be hard.

so my suggestion to you is to use a product called az-no3. Ive personally used it and it works extremely well. It's not too picky with exact measurements either

brent-konieczny

I think we need a list of what you have in the tank right now (fish and inverts) to see if it's a stocking problem. Also, how often you feed, water change, and how deep of a sand bed you have could be considered.

GuyontheCouch

Well so far all i have in the tank is the 3lbs of live rock, and 2 Astrea snails. I do a .5 gallon water change weekly. And as far as a sand bed, im going with the bare bottom approach. This high nitrate is still from the initial cycle, that started in august.

Update! I put in some of that halimeda plant, and did another water change, so now im down to 10 ppm nitrates!! Lets hope this trend continues!!

Archived