SaltCritters.com

Harlequin Shrimp

sandlot13

Alrighty, Ive had a problem with asterina seastars in my tank, and up until now it wasnt a big deal. I actually liked watching them slowly crawl up the glass. But the other day, I noticed that my red birdsnest looked like it was being eaten. After coming back a few hours later, i noticed a giant seastar on it, mowing down the polyps!!!! So, needless to say, its time to cut down on the numbers of my seastar infestation (by reducing numbers, i can reduce competition for food, and they wont scavenge my corals hopefully!)

Soooooooooo, long story short, im looking into a harlequin shrimp! Ive always thought they were neat, but now i have a reason to get one. Has anyone had any success on them eating these smaller seastars (as seastars are their only food source). I have heard of it working, but wanted to know if anyone else has tried it. Thanks!

Tanner G

If you're just looking to get one to get rid of pest stars, don't get one. They require exact water quality, and a very specialized environment.

You'd need to give us specifics on your tank as well.

happy mickey?

its a 20L, been up and running for over a year now......i realize the requirements for these inverts, so i dont intend on buying one without knowing how to care for it........ i was just wondering if that would be an added bonus for getting one of these facinating shrimp

Yeah, they'll eat asterinas but you will have to eventually supplement their diet with larger starfish, the asternias will eventually go 'extinct' in your aquarium.

ReefApprentice

I think you should do it. All you need to do is every once in a while buy a chocolate chip sea star, cut it up, and freeze it. There was someone on here a while back with some harlies, search for it.

Alex

ya, it was pottygxr i think...... read everything he had on them! How often will i need to supplement one harlequin..... probably roughly 1 starfish every 1.5 - 2 weeks?

Also, im near the Puget sound here in washington, and i know that i could get some seastars from the tidepools round here. Think that those would suffice? im thinking that the obviously wouldnt be able to surivive in the warm water of my nano, but i could cut them apart and freeze them, feeding my harley frozen food. Think that would work out?

• 1 month later...

Archived