Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Purple Worm Problems

johnstires

I apologize for being an ignorant aquarist, but I have a problem with a purple tube worm like creature that I have never been able to identify. It was given to me by a friend who was breaking down his tank. It's a a tube worm like creature that is buried in the sand. It has a purple fan like head that comes out mostly at night. It has a neon green center. I've seen these in the LFS, but forgot the scientific name. I've never seen it with a nickname. They are supposed to be aggressive, but mine isn't.

Here's the problem. I've had it for a few months, and recently it has started to look pale and has shrunk a bit in size. Does anyone know what this might be caused by? I feed it target food 1-2 a week. Everything else in the tank is great. this worm has been in captivity for about a year now between my tank and my friends. Unfortunately my friend can't help. Can any of you?

Well from your description, it doesn't sound like a tube worm at all, but a tube anemone. They are all agressive, but some are much worse than others. My guess is that it needs to be feed more and more often. Do some searches for tube anemone's and you should find some info that helps.

coralreeferkim

Hi Johnstires, I agree with Steve. I saw one at my LFS, it's a

Cerianthis, I'm not sure of the spelling, but it's close I think.

They told me not to buy it, because they know my tank. According

to them, you cannot trust it with any fish!! Obviously it will

need to be fed, please let us know how it works out, I think they are beautiful,

and am possibly willing to devote a tank to one if need be!!

Hey thanks guys, you've refreshed my memory. It is a tube anenome.

Here's a link...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...d=23&pCatId=636

Mine's purple with a green center though.

According to this one they like to feed alot. Guess I'll have to up my it's feeding a bit. Hopefully that'l work. I'll let you know how it goes.

As for thier aggressivness, I only have one clown who does fine in there. I did have a mysterious cleaner shrimp death a couple months ago, so maybe that was the cause. Thanks again.

they pack a powerfull whalop of a sting, can can have sweeper tenticles that reach to 2 feet or more in either dirrection. give it plenty of room. Any sort of meaty foods will be fine. They also need a slight coolnes in tempature fluctuation fer like a month to simulate natural planktonic thermocline changes.

The last two nights I've fed it brine shrip which it seems to like. The only problem is one of my red legged hermits jumps on it when I do this so I have to fend it off.

I haven't seen any sweeper tenticles on it ever, even at night, and everything around it seems happy. There's about a 4-5 in. safety radius.

As for the temp change, I read about this, but is it okay to do with the rest of the invertebrates in my tank? Taking the temp down to 68 seems a bit steep since I keep it at a constant 78. Also, is there a certain time of year I should this? Maybe the best thing for me to do is get it healthy again with the feeding and give it backt to the LFS. I'd hate to have something in my tank that shouldn't be there. Any opinions?

Archived