Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

serpant star

twflys

I got a serpant starfish the other day, I understand he might be nocturnal....... but, he freakin never moves, just sits under a rock. Speaking of which, how do I know if he's dead? I don't want to move him, because I'm thinking he might still be freaked out with the new tank. Anything I should be feeding him? There is plenty of algae and pods around for him.

Thanks!

To see if it's alive just give it a poke. Algae and pods aren't going to help your star. You need to feed it, especially in a small tank. Pieces of raw shrimp or other fresh seafood would be ideal. They're not the best of critters for nanos as most get quite big.

MrConclusion

Serpents are sensitive to salinity changes, too, so make sure you top off regularly and gently. I agree with the chunk-o-shrimp feeding method. They don't even seem to mind if it's cooked.

Acclimation is key with starfish. If you didn't slowly acclimate him to the changes in temp and salinity than he could be stressed out.

They do usually move at night and if he still persists on being shy and doesn't venture around much keep your eye on it. Start will decompose and fall apart very quickly one they die....you'll see color changes and a bacterial film coat them.....if you see this pull it out ASAP.

Cameron

Archived