Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

30 Gal. Oeanic Cube

CBlanks

shao-lin nano

I'll do anything for you for the right price :P

Have you considered external pumps?

Eheims are really nice pumps that won't take up any space in your tank if you run it externally:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=EH1260

If you split the return you can eliminate extra powerheads in your tank.

As far as the advise you've ben getting, they're not inconsistent. Different people have different opinioins on how to best run similar systems. That's why there is such a wide variety of equimpent out there to fill our different needs.

Based on your needs which is lighting for low to med light-demanding corals and hot summers with mild winters your choice of lighting and cooling seems appropriate. You just got to figure out how to implement it to suit your needs.

Good luck!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out SurfsUp's cube thread. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...#39;s&st=20 About halfway down page 2 is the picture of his tank under halides. Towards the bottom is the picture of it with the T5 UPGRADE. I emphasize UPGRADE. In my opinion there is no comparison between the two. Even people on the SPS forum at RC will acknowledge the benefits of T5's. Thinking that only halides will produce great colors/corals is just plain oldschool and outdated. No wonder Americans are behind the curve when it comes to lighting/technological advances in reefkeeping.

shao-lin nano
I myself would want a fixture that would fit my tank exactly...When the fixtures overhang on the sides it looks ghetto to me.

So True.

Even people on the SPS forum at RC will acknowledge the benefits of T5's.

Not according to proraptor2..hehe.

LOL Id like to see you tell hardcore SPS keepers over at reefcentral that...LOL

They are all switching back to halides cause their SPS coloration sucks under T5's.

OK, to power up my chiller I am going to need a powerhead with at least 400 gph, but up to 700+. Im thinking of getting an external pump simply because the room behind the false is getting thinned already. Once again, suggestions requested!

If I dont get any help then I will add ANOTHER Yellow tang to my 6 gal. nano cube.

btw, please no one take this seriously. I realize how easily offended some people here get.

post-20896-1160336794_thumb.jpg

post-20896-1160336800_thumb.jpg

Well, to be honest all you are seeing there in those pics on surfsup's thread, is:

a) ALOT better tuning of his camera from the first pics, to the T5 pics.

and:

B) the benefits of T5 in photography over MH's, that's all. It's much easier to take pics of the "still" bright light, vs. the shimmering, intense, sort of "reflecty" qualities of MH.

VERY nice looking tank tho nonetheless! Reminds me ALOT of proraptor's

I would agree that there is no comparison IME between MH, and T5, and anyone with LONG TERM success w/ SPS would tell you MH is DEF. the way to go.

T5 bulb life is horrible and expensive, and alot of times, peeps who keep LPS, and softies go for them cause of how much better is supposed to make them look, most cases I have heard of, it cooks them.

just my 2 cents.

D

T5 bulb life is FAR superior to any other kind of lighting.

I guess I shoulda specified, the intensity of the bulbs is more what I mean.

Maybe because 6 bulbs or so compared to 1 will still kinda shine, if you run any kind of actinic t5 lighting, you would know there is no good bulbs out there, and most of the smaller, retro fit cheapy deapies will burn out sometimes in less than a couple months. White at that, if run all day, will lose it's intensity just as fast.

If a MH bulb is run on a proper 7-8 hour cycle, IME, always looks better, even after 6 months than t5 does, with all the manufactuer's claimed bulb life.

D

shao-lin nano
OK, to power up my chiller I am going to need a powerhead with at least 400 gph, but up to 700+. Im thinking of getting an external pump simply because the room behind the false is getting thinned already. Once again, suggestions requested!

Do you not read the suggestions already posted in your thread? So brillant of you to think of running an external pump...now where can you find a good external pump that'll meet your ratings requirement? :huh:

Have you considered external pumps?

Eheims are really nice pumps that won't take up any space in your tank if you run it externally:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=EH1260

If you split the return you can eliminate extra powerheads in your tank.

Good luck!

The ATI and Giesemann Aquablue/ Blueplus bulbs produce PAR levels equal to and superior to almost all daylight bulbs, and I still don't know where you're getting the info on them not lasting quite a bit longer than any other kind of lighting.

- Ebo Jager 150 W Heater 13 inch UL Approved - $19.99

- Current USA SunPod 20 inch, 1x150W 14000K PowerPaq HQI Lamp & Lunar Lights (X1) $249.99

- AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump (X1) $163.95

- 1/10 HP (Mini) Current USA Prime Inline Chiller w/ Dual-Stage Thermostat #399.90

- Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead / MP 1200 (X2) $37.90

- Eheim Universal “Hobby” Pump 1260 $119.99

- Total w/o shipping $991.72 :o

- Not having to worry about upgrades or if Ill need to quickly buy a chiller when the weather spikes...priceless

I <3 sarcasm.

• 1 month later...

How did it all work out? I missed the pre-purchase discussion, but I have almost the same setup and have switched many parts out so if you ned any advice let me know.

Its STILL working out. The first false wall I received from Doss at Acrylic Sumps was too big and it is being remade. The stand for the tank is on back order at PetCo. I have everything just sitting in boxes. However I have taken the light out and run it everyday to make sure it will be burnt in when I do set everything up. The chiller is much bigger than I expected but looks solid.

So, I'm just waiting for the wall and stand. Ill post pictures once everything is put together.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread. Did you ever think of buying a window AC unit for about the same cost as a chiller? Then your family and fish could be comfy!

Just found this thread. Did you ever think of buying a window AC unit for about the same cost as a chiller? Then your family and fish could be comfy!

Good question. We used to have an in window air conditioner however the thing was really loud, cost a LOT to run, and was butt ugly. It's a moot point now since everything has been purchased.

Update: I have been accepted into law school in San Diego so I will be moving back home with my parents in mid December. I will start uploading pictures of this tank once the move is over. I cant believe im going to be rooming with my parents again!!!! I have spent the last 5+ years living away from home only to return.

Oh, and Im STILL waiting for the stand to come in. Can you believe it??

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty everyone, Im going to start posting pictures of this project starting next week. I am officially moving back home tomorrow to San Diego to begin my law school career in Jan '07 and can finally start stocking this tank. I have the false wall siliconed into the tank, and will be picking up the stand on Sunday. FINALLY!

• 1 month later...

The tank is up and the pumps are running! Everything has checked out. I am going to look for some deals on LR tomorrow on craigs list. Or, if anyone knows anyone unloading rock in SD lemme know. Please feel free to ask any questions.

P.S. Going back to school is tough!

post-20896-1168921530_thumb.jpg

Ah, no problem. I will take a picture when I get home today from my property class. Im in the law library right now and cant do anything but think about stocking this tank! haha

Archived