Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

sunlight picotope questions

SaVeThEeELs

does a sunlight picotope need to be in direct sun??

what animals thrive in a sunlight picotope?

what possible problems may i run into?

tempature swings....how does sunlight affect the pico -vs- other lighting ?

ive raised shrimp on my porch before in a water mac algea tank, is it about that easy?

LOL i got my bat signal on high right now......

i could just re read everything he had on his 2.5 thread but i want it condensed if possible...

kinda dangerous if you dont watch it...easy to cook everything....

i wanna know how hes keeping his algea in control...

non-photosynt

Depends on your geographic location - unattended tank, left in the direct light on the southern window, can reach deadly temperatures in a couple of hours.

Tinyreef, if I remember right, has tank on the bright lighted northern side. My northern windows are too dark even for a coralline algae growth.

Some people have constant temperature in the house or fishroom, if it's hot - air conditioner works, if cold - heating. Or make some automatic small-scale temperature controller.

I like the sun - it has full spectrum of wavelenghts for a corals and fish.

i just moved to a house and set my 20 w/ light coming in on the north side,lighting maybe 3/4ths of it....im supplementing w/ a 20 watt actinic

there is nothing in it but some calurpa maybe some cheato....its been maybe a week and the tank seems to be doing great...

LOL i got my bat signal on high right now....
try a pm next time. ;)

most people grab me that way when they have something specific to discuss with me. hot girls otoh, can call me direct or pm me. :naughtydance:

kinda dangerous if you dont watch it...easy to cook everything....
yup, high sun times can easily cook a tank to 90F+. it actually happened on my pico a couple of times!

check the tank during the highest sunlight exposure time (or the time period leading up to it). note: this isn't necessarily high noon. figuring the highest temperature hit will give you an idea of whether or not you need a fan or similar cooling device. my pico is a nice 76F in the morning and evening but without a fan it can zoom past 90F, even in the winter!

i wanna know how hes keeping his algea in control...
heavy chaeto pruning. i can prune it 50% every week and i still have issues. i haven't fed the tank in 4-months but it can still generate heavy algae growth.

i have an army of stomatella snails and i used to have astrae (they got burned on the heater :( ). hermits can be good but i don't use them as my frags are loose. i also manually prune a lot of the branching algae (probably a dozen different types). i go in with tweezers and pluck out what i can reach. most of the nutrient export is the chaeto though.

but temperature control will be your main issue imo. i completely agree, the lighting is beneficial. it's the temp that you gotta watchout for. hth

the 20 is at around 74-5 and stable even w/ no heat in the house....i may buy a heater but im waiting till full winter hits to see how she acts....

im using calurpa ive had at the moment b/c its what i got and the LFS here dont have much to offer....

im trying to stimulate coraline algea growth so im hoping ma old actintic will work till i get something more powerful...or i may not need it at all....

for the most part its all sunlit....im using the blinds to control how much sun gets in....and a blanket to control tempature!!!not safe dont try this at home!!!

you cant really appreciate it until you see the light beaming in when the sun rises....i had to cut a bush in half!!

ill post pics soon as i have camera access at the right time of day, otherwise it just looks like a ghetto rigg

my sponges are coming back and i got friggin worms on my glass again...

-------think some green star polyps or shrooms would be ok?? i have never grown a coral......just fish and bugs....

you cant really appreciate it until you see the light beaming in when the sun rises....i had to cut a bush in half!!

ill post pics soon as i have camera access at the right time of day, otherwise it just looks like a ghetto rigg

those are the main issues (asethetically) that i came across.

it should actually photograph better in a shaded exposure. your eyes see something and the camera sees something else. i had to tinker with the color and lighting to get it more realistic to what i actually saw versus the odd color version that showed up digitally. camera quality probably plays into it.

those are the main issues (asethetically) that i came across.

it should actually photograph better in a shaded exposure. your eyes see something and the camera sees something else. i had to tinker with the color and lighting to get it more realistic to what i actually saw versus the odd color version that showed up digitally. camera quality probably plays into it.

i find that you have to "bounce" a picture if you want it to come out

meaning take the pic at an angle that way the flash bounces mostly away from the camera....

take a shaded pic?? naww i love how the sunlight comes in through the blinds

otherwise it just looks like this w/o the hood on.....

sorry if its not a good pic, camera phone....

maybe if i didnt spend all my money on tanks id have a nice camera...time to get another job i guess!

post-22467-1161084143_thumb.jpg

Archived