Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

feeding a BTA

boomer2266

how do you feed a BTA ???? how can i tell if the BTA its actually eating the sttufff i feed mine yesterday and today i woke up to find all the food right next to it. the bta truw everything up during the night. what can i do ??? any advice ???

DementedLullaby

From what I've read a healthy BTA will accept food easy. It sticks to the tentacles and slowly pushes it towards the mouth(middle). I don't think it tossed it up...most likely it never ate it in the first place.

Keep trying. It may just be stressed. How long have you had it?

Clownfishcrazy1117

Just get a turkey baster and squirt some chopped up shrimp, myisis, silverside etc. at the anemone's tentacles. (krill is too messy for my liking)

Also, if it didn't accept food, it is probably stressed. Would you give me your tank params, age, and lighting please?

Also, if it didn't accept food, it is probably stressed. Would you give me your tank params, age, and lighting please?
Agree. Also, the pieces you feed should be small, no bigger than 1/4". Mysis, chopped krill, chopped silversides, squid, etc.

Actually it could have spit it up. According to Anthony Calfo anenomes shouldn't be fed anything larger than Mysis and if they do take something larger than that they very well could just spit it out later when you aren't looking.

My RBTA gets fed a dime sized piece of shrimp, squid or crab once a week. I have even fed it a 2 inch goby that had died. They are not too discerning in their diet but I would stay away from guppies or anything of fresh water origin. If healthy they will readily accept food however don't try to force feed them. If they want something they will take it. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there is. Just because it will eat it doesn't mean it's good for it. Essentially freshwater feeders are the Big Macs of the marine diet. They may like them, but they are extremely unhealthy and, funny enough, fattening.

Archived