inTank Media Baskets

Crab Identification?

Nosferatu

I had 2 purple firefish (a pair none the less, poor little guys) die mysteriously a couple weeks ago right after I put them in the tank. I found one still barely alive and it looked like his face had been skinned and he was terrified looking. I assumed a rogue crab. Well, today I saw a rogue crab, big, brown hairy mofo. I went in screwdriver first to spear the bugger, but he clung to a rock I lifted. Could this be my prime suspect and should I consider the case solved? Big mean lookin fella with red eyes and black claws.

**Sorry for the bad pic quality, all I had on hand was a webcam.

post-16522-1159910048_thumb.jpg

post-16522-1159910059_thumb.jpg

DementedLullaby

I would say problem most likely solved....don't kill the poor little thing though! It isn't his fault.

He's already killed $80 in fish (that I know of, I can't find my 2 little neon gobies, but there's a lot of hiding room so that doesn't say much)....it was a simple case of if he tried to run he was gonna get it. Since he was caught alive, he's on my local club board for takers.

DementedLullaby
He's already killed $80 in fish

Yeah that would ### me off too LoL. I just have a soft heart for anything alive. Even hairy and evil with red eyes :P. Actually I've always loved crabs ever since I was a little kid :D.

If I was in the area I'd take him off your hands but since I'm sure that's not the case...Good luck in finding it a home :). If I ever find one..into the refugium he goes!

Clownfishcrazy1117

If it has red eyes, it might be a xanthid crab. Xanthid crabs have very very very deadly venom. If you have a fuge, you could throw it in there.

DementedLullaby
You mean venomous in such a way that I shouldn't feed it to the puffer at my LFS? :)

Actually if it is a Xanathid then it would contain tetrodotoxin venom. The very same found in puffers. Wonder how the puffers get it? From the food they eat of course!

Archived