Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

1.6g "pico" plumbed into existing setup?

whitney

I'm toying with the idea of adding a 1.6g "pico" to my existing 14g display/10g sump arrangement. Since the "pico" would be part of a larger system, I know it doesn't really qualify as a true pico.

It seems logical to me that I can just add a second pump to the first chamber of the sump. Is there any reason that would not work?

Also, would a pair of panda clown gobies be alright with a few sexy shrimp?

I have contemplateddoing this many times. In theory, it would work, but you would have to keep the pico close to your main tank because of plumbing. That and you have to contend with all the extra wiring in one location.

The only extra wiring to worry about is one pump and one light. Oh wait, you're right...! I've got 14 plugs running my current system - there's no room for two more plugs! I'm sure I can figure something out with rearranging the timers and DC converters for the existing equipment...

I've got a perfect spot just a couple feet to the right of my current tank. It's about 5' from the sump, but the headloss over that distance should work out to be almost perfect for this tiny tank. The pump is a 450gph Hydor Seltz. With 3' of vertical headloss and 2-3 feet of horizontal travel the output should be low enough to not create a sandstorm. I'm also planning on splitting the 1/2" output from the pump into 2 or 3 return lines at 1/4" each, which should also weaken the total gph output.

Draining from the tank will be via an externally mounted overflow chamber with bulkheaded 3/4" flex tubing leading down to the sump. Return lines will enter the tank through small holes in the back wall with 1/4" ID silicone grommets to serve as "bulkheads." The biggest problem is going to be cutting all the notches in the back glass with my dremel. They've got to be small enough to not pose a hazard to my panda clown gobies, but either large enough or numerous enough to provide adequate flow...

picodiagram.jpg

Archived