ReefCleaners.org

[Custom] Von Digity

Von digity

Hi all, I haven't been active in a while, but I thought I'd get in on this contest.

I have most of this planned out.

CONCEPT STATEMENTS

-To create a leather dominated soft coral nano reef influenced by the work of Amano; mimicing natural scenery (forests, meadows, etc..) in an underwater aquascape.

-The aquarium is to be constructed with quality equipment along with self built parts, but not to be "overbuilt" and cluttered.

-Livestock will not be composed of "exotic/rare/exclusive/wild/Limited Edition" corals, but of average aquacultured corals.

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

Tank: standard AGA 10 gallon

Lighting: 150 watt aquamedic halide

Filtration: TUNZE Nano skimmer and DIY (sumpless)

Circulation: Undecided (Eheim hobby pump)

Temperature control: Aquamedic titan 150 chiller (still deciding whether to use or not)

entry2.jpg

More to come

ps. please spare teh catfish comments k thx :)

ReefApprentice

Sounds cool. Good luck with the contest. The ones that win are the ones that think outside the box.

Thanks, I'm set on using a rubble bottom. The aquascaping will be comprised of a flat rubble bed (1.5"-2" deep). There will be some "tiers" (areas that will raise up no more than 1"-2" in height), but for the most part the corals will provide the dymamics, not the rockwork. I have this distinct image in my mind about how I want it to look. A single species of leather coral "planted" together "tightly" to create what I imagine as a thick forest. I'm leaning towards using kenya tree. There will be a foreground, for this I imagine some type of "carpeting" coral, candidates are: clove polyps, star polyps (the really pinkish-almost white ones), pipe organ of sorts. I also imagine some zoanthid patches towards the back of the foreground. The tank is going to be 70-80% filled with whatever leather coral I decide on. As for composition, I will try to apply the rule of 1/3rds wherever I can as well as some type of golden mean:

http://www.astridfitzgerald.com/images/Golden-Mean-1.jpg

GrizzleBee's

If this turns out to be anything like takashi's tanks, it'll be sweet- regardless.

Ive heard of people using reverse UGF filters on rubble bottoms, and they set the pump(s) on a timer, to periodically blow detritus out of the crevices in between the rubble. This also forms sort of a fuge type thing under the ufg plate, in which various types of cryptic organisms can multiply/ be fed to your system. This may be worth trying out.... I mean, you could hide the pump to feed it behind some rocks right?

To maintain the asthetics and what not....Its your call

And its good to see youre goin with all aquacultured corals.

We all gotta support the coral farming industry!!

its a great cause

I was thinking about doing a reverse UGF. I think the concept has merit. I will have to give it more thought, a UGF shouldn't be very hard to build.

Anyways, who doesn't hate the trim that comes on a standard AGA? I thought about taking it off completely, but I think I found a nice alternative.

Heres the acrylic I got (2 sheets of 1/8" black acrylic 12"x24" costing about $20.00)

IMG_5532.jpg

The design will not be unveiled until I build it, so it might be a day or two.

I'm going to use the laser cutter at my school tommorow to do the cuts, but I found it is alot easier to design when you have the actual material you are going to use in your possession. It really helps to use a caliper to get as close to an exact dimension of the acrylic as possible.

IMG_5530.jpg

It looks like there are some pretty cool tanks being entered in the competition and I just wanted to wish everyone competing good luck.

I got to do some work on the canopy/canard thing I designed. Here it is being cut on the laser cutter the other day.

IMG_5534.jpg

more to come on that.

But, I'm still undecided on a good small pump. I want to try the Eheim 1048 (158 gph), but does anyone have a good suggestion? I think tunze makes a small pump as well.

I miscalculated something and messed up the measurements of the canopy. But, I put two sides together to show a mock up of how it would look. I'll have to make a new canopy though.

IMG_5540.jpg

Snips, i was looking at the compacts as well, they are cheaper than the hobby pumps, but they look kind of well, generic-ish? I may give them a try.

^^^He has just about the most amazing freshwater tanks ever... even has a FW shrimp named after him

Do a search

I love the idea on the trim!!!

influenced by the work of Amano

It's amazing to me how Amano can make even the most simple design look beautiful. This will be very interesting to see what you do with this if his style is you inspiration.

thanks guys.

TUW,

I was thinking of buying one. They run for around 10k and I think you could find a way to make the money back.

I need to get water in this tank and get it going. I've been a little busy with school as of late. I'm waiting on a couple of little tunze pumps and I need to go to ikea to buy my 39.99 dollar stand. http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/22510_PE107389_S4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

so, its now november and I have yet to get this set up. Lifes been crazy, gf moved out, house became a mess, school got crazy, I could keep going but I won't.

Anyways, I took that tank apart. I mean, completely apart. Then I cleaned off all the silicone, and re-siliconed the tank back together using black silicon. I think it looks much better having a thin black seam vs a sloppy fat clear one, but it was alot of work for a 10 dollar fish tank. And now the tank is rimless, but I have to go find myself some glass strips to brace it.

Hopefully the tank will be up and running within the next week or two. But, I'm not trying to rush the project. I still need to find a suitable location in my house for the tank.

teaser pics:

IMG_5549.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5550.jpg

IMG_5551.jpg

i hear you man... life gets busy and the first thing that takes a back seat is the things we probably want to do the most.

Cant wait to see how the tank looks resiliconed and set up!

here it is being siliconed

TANKGLUEUP.jpg

as it looks right now in mycleaned up studio area

tanksideview.jpg

how the side panel seams came out

SEAM.jpg

The bottom seam is rather sloppy, and I need to take a razor to the whole tank pretty much and clean everything up.

Hint: use masking tape along seams before putting down silicone. Then apply silicone, and when still wet, peel up masking tape giving you perfect seam edges. Saves have to go back with razor blade.

Archived