Cultivated Reef

what K is best to grow macro?

trailguide

i added a fuge to my 20H, i have 26w of PC over it. my question is what K lights are best for growing macro? i am running 6500K over it and my macro does not look to happy.

what you guys think?

i'll try and post a pic tonight.

65k should be perfect thats what I have mine growing under 27w 65k. Maybe something else is going on...is there too much caulerpa? Many people have noticed when dosing iron they tend to do better, like weeds on fertilizer. If you try the iron go slow maybe once a week. Iron is used by virtually all photosynthetic organisms so not only will your macro benefit so can nuisance micro algae. If you have high nitrates and phosphates then I wouldnt try it yet, the nitrates alone should be enough for the macro.

HTH

Nishant- I couldnt tell ya if corals use it the same way as plants during photosynthesis. Plants break down iron and other elements along with CO2 to create sugars releasing oxygen as a by product blah blah blah....

Sorry to confuse you with my previous reply I should have worded that differently. Iron is a trace element in water so Im sure they use it in some way. But too much would definitely be a bad thing like copper, its there but not enough to cause damage.

Archived